Skip to main content

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around The World V




Here we go guys, we are back again with a new strong part from our The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around The World Series. Through this part, you will come across strong influential ladies from the South to the North! Let’s go!

Anna KiaRa (Russia 🇸🇰)




Fronted one of the most influential Symphonic Metal bands in Russia, Imperial Age, Anna is widely known with her expressive voice and rocking performance.

We started with Anna with how she discovered her singing passion.

I found that I like to sing when I was 6 years old, Still have somewhere this video where I was 6 years old singing some pop songs. And then, when I was 8, I went to musical school and piano classes,” Anna described.

Next, we moved to her story with Imperial Age. Anna expressed, 

The founder and the leader of Imperial Age, Alexander, was searching for a new lead singer. He found my video singing “The Show Must Go On” which I was singing for one vocal competition. 

He liked it and asked me to come for hearing. It was 2016. Then, another line up in the band took place. Only me, Alex and Jane stayed after the tour with Orphaned Land in the end of 2016.

Other guys left the band because of their own reasons. And then, in the 2017, we found Belf, Paul and Max for the next tour with Therion. That's how I met them,” she added.




Concerning challanges she faces, Anna highlighted,

Well, everytime you need to improve yourself if you want to stay a good musician. You need to change yourself.

 And sometimes you do something just to prove someone that you deserve everything that you have! And it's normal for strong creative persons.

After that, she told us about her family’s reaction towards her Metal activity.

I used to listen Rock and Metal music since I was 13. My mom also likes classic Rock like Queen and Scorpions. 

She showed me a lot of good music, So for her it wasn't a surprise when I started to sing for a Metal band when I was 18. For my friends also. They all were glad that I do what I like,” She said.


Next, we asked her about how she manages her time. 

You have some kind of another life on tour. For the first view you have a lot of time. 

But in reality you can't do anything important on this free time, because you're on the road, or you need to wait for your soundcheck, or for your show, or you're too tired to think about anything.

 So on tour you can just write or call to important people, not more. But on usual life I do a lot of things in one time. It's just a question of planning time,” Anna answered.

Regarding her biggest steps that she made her proud, she expressed, 

The main step I proud of is my move to Moscow. I moved here almost two years ago, I was alone, didn't have a lot of money, but I found a lot of good people who helped me, and a lot of possibilities. 

Also I proud that I'm not only a musician. I can do a lot of things: write texts, sail anything, communicate with a lot of people, I like psychology, astronomy and physics.

I don't like people whose doing only one thing (and more often they do it mediocrity) and say that they don't respect people whose doing anything else. That's stupid,” Anna added.




Then, she mentioned her role models, “I really respect Tarja's job, Freddy Mercury and two Russian Metal singers: Olga Kormuhina and Valery Kipelov.

After that, she told us her upcoming steps, “First off, finish my study, then make a video clip with Imperial Age, and compose my own music,” she said. 

Finally Anna sent a supportive message to every fighting lady,

Girls, I really appreciate our work! I wish you never give up and never to be upset (or just a little). 
Sometimes things going through the ass, but in the end they all bring the better future. A big hug to everyone! 

 Charuk Raven (Iran 🇮🇷/Germany 🇩🇪)



A fighter, a Fighter who is struggling against her family, society and whole country. Charuk came from the lands of Iran to the North aiming expressing her inner voice. She is not only vocalist but also multi-instrumental player. She played for Iranian, Germany based Ambient/Oriental Black Metal band Nashmeh.

How she started her career was our first topic with Charuk.

She answered, “I did start playing Black Metal music after years of studying and performing as Classic music reciter and orchestra piano player. 

Talent is a constructed defenition for people who are frighten to fight they give up easily and like to beleive in easy commen sense sience.

The only thing that exist is amount of one's will and intention, I had a stron urge to scream my voice out so I did and then gradually formed it in time.”

Then, we asked her about how she met her band mates.

I met Magus Faustoos the Guitarist, vocalist and daf player of Nashmeh in Goa, India as I was traveling for some research through neighbour contries of Iran.

He is one of the pioneers of Persian Black Metal in Iran and former of already 3 BM projects: Beaten Victoriouses Mogh and Tears of Fire. We are working together ever since then.

Nashmeh have had several drummers since its formation, the current drummer is Asbath Sverre former of Darkestrah shamanic Black Metal from Kyrgyzstan  based in Leipzig, Germany,” Charuk highlighted.




Next Charuk talked about challanges she faces in detail.

We are living in a time of contradictions and chaos where values are mailnly male dominant, time of erected Phallus who set the rulls accordingly.

The world based on competetion and false power based on fear.this type of energy has immense impact on our nervous system without us being aware,” she described.

So, in this energetic war my aim is to remain focus on the inner decipline and say what it needs to be said and on my inner forces which is guiding me on my path and that I think somthing that makes Nashmeh's sound authentic and drastic,” she continued.


Regarding her family’s reaction, Charuk expressed, 

They know me as extreme person who has the strong intention.bringing my inner voice to life is somthing that i have always fought for ,this has been an inspiration for them.


About how she manages her time between work, studying, family and music especially during tours, she replied that she sacrifices for a better evil.

Next, we asked her about her biggest steps, 

I know that my every step has been made to bring me closer to the center.I m not proud of my actions but I m aware of them.they need to be done and i do them with my intuition,insight or intellect,” she answered.

Then, Charuk revealed to us her role models. 

I am creating my own model and then will destroy it. 
So that no body can step on the path I build it from my own dreams and  nurture it with my own blood.

But there were elements on my way who inspired me. From people to nature to small things that we pass by in every day life. They are mostly things and ananymous people that are being ignored,” she said.



Finally, she sent important message to the rest of Female Metal Voices,

If you are a metal girl you have already found it welcome to the fight club!

Eve (Argentina 🇦🇷)



A shining tweeting star came from the land of beauty, strength and resistance, Argentina. She is standing strongly, determinedly fronting her band Boudika, a Symphonic Metal Band from Argentina founded in 2012.

We started with Eve by asking her about her early career, she answered, 

I started to sing when I was a little girl with my mom at the church. At that moment I realized I really liked singing, and over the years I got involved in many projects that never made it to the stage. 

Only after starting Boudika, I fully immersed myself in the metal scene. Before that I was into other styles but not in a professional way, just for the fun of it.




Next, she told us about how she met her band mates.

I started the project together with my couple, Mariano, and the remaining members have changed throughout the years for various reasons. 

Some of them were close to the band, other were friends and some of them were chosen through auditions,” she narrated. 

After that we asked her about the challanges she faces.

The challenge was always to exceed my own expectations, explore new musical paths to express myself and, to take Boudika to the highest musical expression possible,” Eve mentioned.


Regarding her family’s reaction towards her Metal activity, Eve commented, 

My family reacted normally, because they realized my improvement and a taste for music that, sooner or later, would lead to an artistic expression.”  

We asked her about how she manages her time.

It’s a great jigsaw puzzle, and sometimes I end up too tired, but I do it with pleasure. I truly enjoy playing our music and I try really hard to get us heard by more and more people,” she replied.

Then, she told us the steps that made her proud of herself and her music.

Each step we take fills me with pride, but I think the biggest one we have taken as an opening act for bands like: Nightwish, Epica, Within Temptation, Sonata Arctica, Delain, Revamp, Xandria or Tarja Turunen, among others,” Eve said.




Regarding her role models, she mentioned, “I admire various artists, but it would be impossible for me to name just one. I take my influences from Symphonic Metal as well as Hard Rock and Power Metal.”

Finally, she sent a supportive message to every Female Metal musician,

I invite you all to contact us to set up projects together, as Argentina is a beautiful place to Tour.

Maria (Peru 🇵🇪)


Coming from the lands of the south, rocking her scene with her influential voice and performance, Maria is fronting two of the most successful Peruvian Metal bands: Strogena and Mandragora. 

 How she started singing was our first question. 

started to sing when i was 12 years old.  My parents enrolled me in a church where I always attended catechesis and masses

Every yearthere were singing contests in that church. In one of those contestsmy catechist needed someone  who represent our  group and there was nobody who did it

The same day of the contest saw that my catechist was sad, I decided to sing (I have never sung in my life). I dared to rehearse and compete the same day with more than 10 people who had been preparing a month ago,” Maria said.

She continued, “The surprising thing was that I won and from that time I haven´t stopped singing, I belonged in the choir of the church.

At the same time I worked singing in otherchurches. After some years, I began to listen MetalMusic, to admire the musicians and vocalists of that style.

And I said to myself "I WANT TO BE ONE OF THEM!”. Since that time I found my passion.





Regarding how she met her band mates, Maria expressed, 

was in 3 bands before singing in Strogena and Mándragora. I decided to leave of my last band to créate Strogena

Through Facebook, I looked people who wereinteresed in this proyectuntil I found them and now I can say that they are like my sisters

About Mandragora, I usedto listen to their music and I used to chat with the bassplayer (Jorge Mandragora). 

One day, they neededsomeone to sing in a well known event in Peru (“Ataque Metal” / METAL ATTACK), since that time, we made a lot of connection ,even though it was the first time we met

After some timethey were looking for a new vocalist and I did not hesitate to be part of them. I am very happy to be with themthey are like my brothers.”

After that, she told us about the challanges she faces. 

There are many people who value the effort and dedication that one puts into the music but there are also people withbad vibes who only criticizewithout knowing all the dedication that one gives in their projects

Despite this, I believe that my only challenge is to improve myself and improve as a vocalist more and more. Keep my bands Always in forcebecause having a solid and stable band onthe wayis not easy,” she mentioned.



Then, we asked her about her family’s reaction towards her Metal activity.

At the beginningmy familyespecially my mother, did not agreeAs I mentioned before, I used to sing in churchesIt was an almost radical change

For me, It was very difficult to fight against that (especially because of prejudice). As time passed, they realized that I was happy doing thisToday my family and my friends are proud of me and support me a lot,” she expressed.


Regarding her time management strategy, Maria highlighted,

“Sometimes it is difficult to say “no” to my family when they have a familiar reunion because I have to rehearse.

 It is more difficult when I have  to rehearse with Mandragora because they live in Chimbote (8 hours of different fromwhere I live). 

About my work, fortunately they give me permission if I have to travel, To have 2 bands is not easy, I have to give double of my effort but  I feel that everything is worth it.”


Next, she told us more about the steps that made her proud, Maria described,


Many times I have stayed without a coin in my pocketjust to invest in these, my desires. I have forbidden myself from many familiar things to be able to fulfill with my bandsbut everything has given me good results

There are always difficult moments but you always have to go onand on. I travel 8 hours to rehearse, I finish very tired but very satisfied.

 I have released material with my bands, video clips, I have traveled around Perú and also I have traveled to Chile, in October.

will travel with Mandragora to Colombia, among other things and the best payments for me is the clapsthe messages of the listeners and seeing that I am happy in this life thanks to the music.





After that, Maria listed to us her role models,

About vocalists, i love Bruce Dickinson, I think he is a complete Singer (voice and performance) and also he is a professsional person who has a life in a good behaviorAlso James Diohes voice was magical . About bands, Judas Priest is one of my role models,” She mentioned.

Next, she told us about her future plans.
would like to travel around the world and  that my voiceand my music transcend

This year, i will record the first Album with Strogena and in this moment, I’m recording a New EP with Mandragora,” she said.




Finally, Maria sent supportive message to every rocking lady,

Do not worry about showing your talent just for being a woman
This goes beyond being a man or a woman. This is passion and dedicationLet's all go ahead and continuespreading the magical that music can be. 


Milly (Italy 🇮🇹)



Known with her outstanding music and unique voice, Milly’s voice carries the beauty of the Italian Mediterranean coast. She is fronting one of the finest Italian Metal bands, End Of Skyline.

About how she started her career, Milly initiated,

I started singing just for fun since when I was a kid, my uncle, dad and sister played instruments since when I have memories so it was normal for me to enjoy music. 

Despite that, I've always been very shy and I never let other people to listen my voice. At the age of 18th I started singing in my first band and here we are.

I feel like a regular girl, it's my passion and I am self taught.”

Then she answered us about how she met her band mates, 

I already knew some of them, we decided to put up a band together and we went from there.Very simple!”



Next, Milly told us about challanges she faces, 

Writing new material is always challenging, doing better than the last time is always a big thing. 

You want to improve yourself, the fear to fail is always there. I am very proud of our new record and what we accomplished,” she said.

After that, we asked her about her family’s feedback regarding her Metal activity,

My family is not into metal but they support me and they are proud of what I do. 

Seeing them in the audience has always been funny because they seem so out of place! But it makes me happy and a little bit embarrassed. I'm still shy!” She expressed.


Concerning her time management strategy, Milly explained,

I've recently been in Los Angeles for several months for work so my band mates waited patiently for my return. It is not our first job so we all need to manage our time. 

For what concern my private life is not a problem at all because we are both musicians and we understand that keeping a band alive is a full time job that requires passion and time.”

After that, we asked her about steps made her proud,

I am really proud of our new records, we wanted to do this record for so many years. You will hear about it very soon!” Milly described.




Then, she revealed her role model, 

My favourite singer ever is Daniel Tompkins from Tesseract, I learned a lot from him regarding style and technique in the last years.” 

And she told us that she is working on learning and growing as a musician!

Finally, her message to every rocking lady is,

 Chin up, always! 

Mora (Greece 🇬🇷)

One word can describe her performance and voice, Alive Greek Myth! Mora is fronting one of the most popular Greek Metal bands, Dimlight! Dimlight is one of the few Greek Metal bands who has a wide fan base in the Middle East.

We started with Mora by asking her about how she started her career,

I first started singing at a young age, began vocal lessons by fifteen years old, now I’m about to finish my classical vocals studies and counterpoint. 

During that period I’ve been experimenting with various bands and projects. I started singing for dimlight more than a year ago. I knew from my teenage years that music was my destination,” Mora expressed.




Regarding how she met Dimlight, Mora answered, 

They called me for an audition and that was how we met.

Next, she explained to us the challanges she faces,

There are always hard times and difficulties, time, money and human factor. 

There will be sometimes where you think obstacles hold you back but I prefer to focus on the positives, improve as much as I can no matter the difficulties,” Mora explained.




After that, we asked her about how was her family and friends reaction towards her Metal activity.

My friends were very proud of me as they believe it is something very artistic and productive. 

As for my parents their first impression was somehow negative but eventually they realized how important this was to me so they supported my decision,” Mora said.

Then, Mora told us about how she manages her time.

When you are on tour you really have very few choices. 

I try to keep in touch with friends and family and the things I do in my life as much as I can. 

Apart from that all it takes is good organization and realistic goals,” Mora expressed.




Concerning which steps made her proud, Mora described in detail,

Even the smallest of goals are achieved day by day, even a little progress every day makes me proud. 

Although I’m very proud of my Harmony and counterpoint Diplomas, my progress on classic and modern vocal techniques and for Dimlight’s latest release.

Next, Mora revealed to us her role models,

Simon Simone’s, Ronnie James Dio (for both his talent and personality), Amy Lee, Roy Khan, and more. I also like Helena Bonhnam Carter, Tim Burton.

Regarding her future steps, Mora highlighted,

To improve my vocal skills and performance my physical condition and personality. I hope to achieve my goals,finish my studies and of course another album with Dimlight.



Finally, Mora sent a supportive message to each fighting Female Metal Voice,

Stay dedicated on creating awesome music and make this world a better place. 

Riina (Finland) 



Standing, shining brightly in the lands of the north, her voice is enough to trap you into every tune of Silentium music. Riina is one of the greatest Finnish Metal Voices. 
We started with Riina by how she started her singing career.

I have been singing as long as I can remember. I remember in kindergarten already.

 I was baffled why some of the other kids would sing “wrong” when it was clear to me what was “right”. 

I’ve had bands before Silentium, but nothing substantial enough to call “a career”, so I guess mine started when Sami asked me to join the band,” Riina said.


Regarding how she met her band mates, Riina expressed,
Me, Janne and Matti were all in another local band, called Parallax. Small circles of a small town soon lead to me joining Silentium.
Next, we asked her about the challanges she faces.
As music isn’t what pays my bills the challenge is often finding a balance between the things I HAVE to do and the things I WANT to do. 

Another thing is self-criticism. I can definitely be my own worst enemy and a hopeless perfectionist. 

Trust me, I’m very aware reaching perfection with my vocals is still very much a work in progress,” Riina mentioned.
Regarding her family’s and friends reaction towards her Metal activity, she described,

Everyone, both family and friends, has always been very supportive of my musical ambitions and for that I am extremely grateful! 



As we are in Finland, a country with a plethora of Metal bands, it probably isn’t seen as extreme as it would be somewhere else.

Also people who know me know that I will do things my own way, no matter what anyone says.



After that, we moved to ask her about how she manages her time.

By not sleeping! It’s funny because it’s true. Also not funny at all because it’s true. 

We haven’t really toured in a decade so that’s been out of the equation but still, I won’t lie, it’s a challenge finding time to do everything I find important. 

I have a tendency to do things with maximum drive for as long as I can and then paying the price, isolating myself out of sheer exhaustion. I’m sure there’s a better way,” Riina replied. 
Moving to her biggest steps that made her proud, Riina commented,

I don’t know if you mean musically or personally, but I’d say my proudest achievement was being able to get rid of medication for depression after ten years of numbness. 

It’s definitely linked to my musical career as well, as the medication made me unable to connect with my “center”, my source of creativity and expression, and as such I was literally unable to sing. 

So if I hadn’t had the determination and perseverance to deal with the horrible year of withdrawal symptoms, I also wouldn’t be able to sing today.















Concerning her role models, Riina mentioned,

You wouldn’t know them. They are people in my life who inspire me with their goodness, sense of empathy and intellect.

 I admire people who can hang on to their respectable character no matter the adversities they face.
Moving to her future plans, Riina highlighted,

Right now I and we are concentrating on finishing the new album, that should be coming out in the later half of this year. 

While I’ve now sang all my tracks, there’s still loads to do before the album is done and finished. 

After that I hope to do as many gigs as possible and keep making music for as long as my lungs work! 

Finally, Riina sent a supportive message to every fighting struggling woman,

I support and appreciate everything each and every one of you is doing!
 I don’t think there are nearly enough collaborations of female metal vocalists and I say we should fix that.”

Samantha Hollins (USA)



A unique African American voice who established a brighten and influential pioneering Rock/Metal career. Samantha Hollins is a respected name who attracted the lights for her voice and music. Her project GhettoSongBird drew many platforms attraction.

We wanted to get closer to how Samantha discovered her talents.

Going back to my 12 year old self, that's when I started writing poetry that transformed into songwriting. In 1999 I don't know what Mojo I was suddenly infused with, but my once soft voice was replaced with an edge.

 In 2001 I picked up my black Epiphone electric guitar & learned to play by ear. A few weeks into my new obsession, I was referred to a Philly spoken word artist by the name of Terrell Allen. 

After his show he introduced me to the owner of the venue that I accompanied him at and I was booked right away for the whole weekend. 

I emerged from the Philadelphia open mic scene to rockin' at legendary Rock venues around the USA. I couldn't believe I engraved my passion on stages my heroes played including CBGB’s, The Elbow Room, The Bitter End, Stitch (all in New York City) and the world famous Whisky A Go-Go (Los Angles, CA),” she narrated.




Regarding how she formed and chose her band members, Samantha expressed,

My drummer Ronin Ali (I am now married to my drummer), Keyboardist Chris Nelson (God Father of my children) and I were like three unorthodox creatives passing each at local open mics in Philadelphia. 

We jammed earlier on. When I first met them individually, I never once thought we would end up in a band together. They were both solo artists doing R&B music. 

They unveiled many layers of their musicianship that I didn't expect from two soul brothers. By the time they got a hit of the heaviness in my music, our chemistry became explosive.”

Then, she told us more about the challanges she faces.

Being a Black woman in Rock/Metal use to weigh down on me like a ton of bricks, when conducting business. 

There was always a reason why I should change, be someone else, or no longer do this, in their deep seeded logic. They tried to talk me out of Rock music. 

Hate, sabotage and discredit of my accomplishments is the battle ground I found myself on. Once I got on stage I was cured from their madness,” Samantha described.

Regarding how was her family’s and friends feedback, she commented,

On one hand my mother loves it and travels with my band as much as she can. She dresses up like my Goth Queen ready to rock! I have four children ages 1-8 who are always ready to put up their horns and mosh with us. 

My three oldest are like my little wings assisting me when they are present. My stepdad is like a proud papa who sometimes drives us on tour. 

On the other hand I don't usually get much family or friends coming to my shows. I believe they would be shocked to see the quiet, introverted Samantha they know rockin' out!

Then, she revealed to how her schedule is challenging!

It's a true balancing act managing my life as an artist, wife, mother and educator. I homeschool my two youngest during the day, while our two oldest (who I use to teach) go to school. 

They experience the thunderous vibes of all of our rehearsals and now I'm a ‘mom-ager’ supporting their artsy endeavors. My husband is my drummer, roadie and anything I need him to be on tour. 

When we are on the road if we we bring our children with us and put them to work, if we can not secure a babysitter. Keeping business and personal separate has become second nature for my husband and me.

 I don't care if we were going through a disagreement, the moment the music start all of that vanishes. Sleep is rare, but the rewards are there,” she expressed.




Moving to her biggest steps that made her proud.

“Every step from the beginning up to this point gives me pride. The evolution of GhettoSongBird without management, no agents and never compromising myself for a record deal or any deal is golden. My hard work ethic and staying true to myself keeps the motor running in the lane I carved for my career,” she said.

Then, she listed her role models,

My mom and her record collection was the birth of my Rocker journey. Rosa Lee Brooks (an artist from the 60's that wrote and recorded with Jimi Hendrix) took me under her wing(s) in 2002. She introduced me to her L.A. audience and assisted me in the making of my first EP "Alley Of The Earth". 

Sherry Scott (the 1st Lady Of Earth Wind & Fire) infused the spiritual guidance needed to survive in such a tough business. 

Musically I was hypnotized by the soundscape of Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Jimi Hendrix, P-Funk, Black Sabbath, Living Colour, Fishbone, Prince, Sound Barrier (the 1st Black Metal band to be signed), Black Merda, Pure Hell, Bad Brains, Betty Davis and many moons of legends.”

Next, Samantha told us her future plans in detail.

Morphing from the performance artist I mostly clung to, unto finally recording volts worth of music is my next step. Telling my story and the untold stories of the African Diaspora Rock music culture is the fruit of my passion right now. 

I've been performing since the late 90's. Now I want to chronicle the African Diaspora Rock culture to connect stories with like minds, to produce into a documentary. 

I graduated from the Art Institute Of Philadelphia for the music/video (film) business. It's time to put that knowledge into an artistic venture, with an educational blueprint,” she mentioned. 



Finally, this was Samantha message to every struggling lady,

Rock On sisters! Sister Rosetta Tharpe gave us the blueprint, therefore we are the carriers of every sub-gene of Rock music. 
Let's build a bridge to hold each other up. Our stories are vital, our voices like super shero's lifting powerful sound waves and every shred we rip, is the essence of a magic potion that the world needs to inject into it's discography.

Sandra (Portugal 🇵🇹 )

A shining Mediterranean voice who rocks the stage of Portugal. Sandra is a unique impressive voice that brings enjoyment with her band Blame Zeus. Sandra is also a vocal coach and Promoting agency owner, Lazy Cat Productions & Management.


How she started her career was our first question to her.

Sandra answered, “I've been singing and in bands since I was 12 years old. At that age I discovered I had a voice, and loved writing my own lyrics. 

Later, I started having singing lessons and, eventually, teaching as well. In 2010 I formed Blame Zeus with my husband, Ricardo Silveira, the drummer, and developed my taste for heavier sounds.”

I participated in a tv singing contest when I was 12. After that I started exploring many female singers, like Alanis Morissette, PJ Harvey and Fiona Apple and, at 15, entered my first band,” she added.

Next, she narrated to us how she met her band mates.

Well, the drummer was my boyfriend at the time (now my husband), we met in another band we had together many years before. 

Paulo was also the guitarist in that band. Tiago was referenced to me by a mutual friend, and Celso I found while searching in bass players groups at Facebook,” she mentioned. 



Next, she told us more about the challanges facing her.

It's a constant search for opportunities, contacts, support, but I like it. I like the work, it makes me feel like I fought and worked hard for everything I get. 

Now the major issue is how to start touring abroad. There's always other logistical problems like money or availability, but I guess, at this time, I've already worked out some stuff so that my life is entirely focused on Music,” Sandra expressed.


Regarding her family’s reaction towards her Metal activity, Sandra highlighted,

I guess my family and friends would rather see me singing in a pop or jazz band, to make more money (lol) but they've always respected my taste and they know how happy I am doing this and singing what I love.

Next, we asked her about how she manages her time.

Well, as I save some money, so I can get out of work when tours come along. When that happens, touring comes first, so I concentrate all my energy in being prepared. Everything else gets on hold,” Sandra replied.

Then, Sandra told about her biggest steps that made her proud.

For starters, I'm really proud of Blame Zeus and of where we are right now. Also, I've been working really hard to be a better singer and performer from album to album,” she said.

After that, she listed her role models,

At the moment, Maria Brink for her performance skills, Anneke van Giersbergen for her humble personality and beautiful voice and Elli Berlin for her amazing look and fit body.

And, Sandra told to us her future steps.

Blame Zeus is now recording its third album, to be released at the end of this year. So, rock my sessions, then video, then tour as much as possible, especially abroad,” she revealed. 




Finally, Sandra sent a supportive message to her female Metal colleagues,

Keep on being the amazing, genuine, strong, taking-no-crap ladies that you are! See you on stages across the globe!

Vickie Harley (UK 🇬🇧)

A strong voice raised from the royal lands of UK. She performed an impressive Progressive Symphonic combination. Vickie Harley is breaking and melting the snow and cold with her voice and music with Pallas Athena.

Vickie started by talking to us about how she started her career.


I started singing in metal in my old band, A Clockwork Opera. actually grew up playing in orchestras and brass bands, and eventually went to university to study music. 

It wasn’t until I graduated that I realized I wanted to do more with my voice, and I started to get lessons at 23. 

After a few lessons I knew that voice was my first instrument all along, and I decided it was something that I could really go far with,” she said.

Next, she mentioned how she met her band mates.

We used to be in a band together called A Clockwork Opera. When that band broke up, myself, James and Alex decided we worked really well together and formed a new band,” Vickie expressed.



After that, we asked her about challanges she faces.
Vickie highlighted, 

I struggle quite a bit with self-doubt and confidence, but once I get on a stage those issues disappear! 
I also sometimes feel like people view ‘operatic’ singers in metal as a bit cliché and perhaps outdated, and I’ve definitely got the impression before that its really not a lot of fans cup of tea.

Next, Vickie expressed to us how was her family’s and friends reaction towards her Metal activity.

I don’t think my family had any particular reaction or have any strong feelings towards it! 

I’m lucky that I have a good friendship circle who are all into metal themselves, so its quite easy to get people along to gigs!” She answered.

After that, she revealed to us her time management strategy.

Managing time can sometimes be a tough one, as Iwork full time as well as singing with The Halle Choir, Manchester Chamber Choir, City of Manchester Opera and Pallas Athena, as well as occasionally doing guest vocals for other bands on the side. I also make sure to make time to take care of myself, by walking, reading and meditating. 

The great thing about my current life is that I love and thoroughly enjoy everything I do, even my job! So nothing ever feels like it’s a chore or too stressful, which makes it all very easy to manage,” Vickie explained. 

  


Then, we asked her about the steps that made her proud of herself.

Despite having a very classical oriented voice, I always try to push myself to learn new things and sing outside of my comfort zone. 

I’m really proud of the work we’ve achieved so far with Pallas Athena, as we only did our first gig in October and we already have an EP, have loads of amazing gigs booked all over the UK and won our first heat of Metal to the Masses (a competition to play Bloodstock Festival),” she revealed.

And, she mentioned Tarja Turunen “forever the Queen of Metal” as her role model.

Moving to her future steps, Vickie said,

We hope to release another EP this year, and keep heading in the direction we’re going as the future is looking very bright for us. 

Being in a band can be really tough sometimes, but holding onto to all the positives we’ve achieved in our very short career so far is what’s pushing us towards future goals!



Finally, Vickie sent a supportive message to every struggling lady,

I would love for all female musicians in metal to encourage, support and cheerlead one another, as it can be a really difficult world out there. 
I’m lucky that all of the musicians (regardless of gender) I know in the metal scene already do this, so I’d just like to send this message far and wide and encourage all to do so.

Finally, that was our fifth part of our series about Female Metal Voices. Stay tuned for the upcoming parts. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before 2023 Edition, Get to Know Wacken Metal Battle Egypt History

On March 3, Cairo will see a new edition of Wacken Metal Battle Egypt. The upcoming edition is the fourth in the history of the Egyptian Metal scene. Although the local scene witnessed three editions, only two Egyptian Metal bands stepped into the global stage of the most prestigious Metal battles. They were Crescent in 2015, and Veritatem Solam in 2019.  If you want to know the history of the Wacken Metal Battles in Egypt, read this article! On June 8, 2013, a post went viral between Metalheads in Egypt on Facebook and it was about the enlisting of Egypt among the batteling acts for a spot at the global Wacken Metal Battle in Germany.  On November 10, 2013, the period of band registrations for the competition ended and the whole Egyptian Metal scene was deeply motivated.  We need to mention that 2014 was a highly active Metal year in the metal scene. A number of festivals used to take place including Metal Blast, Metal Grinders, and Groovy Aid, alongside a number of group Metal and

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around the World VII

As we are celebrating our comeback I think that it will be great to check a new part from our The Metal Divas series. This part is full of power with slight changes in our format to be easier to follow!     Adrastea (Greece ) A great voice shining from the lands of Hera and Zeus, Adrastea is rocking the Greek Metal Scene with her band Entropy Devine.  We  started with Adrastea by asking her about how she started her career.  "   I have been singing since I can remember myself. I was always a rocker so I remember I would always find a way to secretly sneak into music related activities.  I was not allowed to learn music, cause, you know  I am a woman and I should do all that society expects from a woman and nothing more.)  So I figured creative ways of doing so as a part of my Rock 'N Roll rebellion while  growing up,"  she answered. Next, we asked her about how she met her band mates.   " From an ad in search