Skip to main content

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around The World IV


We are still continuing publishing our series of interviews with rocking and fighting Female Metal Voices around the world. Here is our fourth part! 

Antigone Kalamara (Greece 🇬🇷)



One of the best Greek Female Metal voices, she carries the strength of the Ancient Greek Woman, and the determination of the modern one. She is shaking the Greek mountains with her Hard Rock/Heavy Metal band Disillusive Play. 

Antigone was so kind and humble with us as all Greeks.

First off, she told us about how she started her career.

Since when I was 6 years old I started learning playing piano. I did these lessons for 5 years and then I stopped because I needed more time to study for school. 

As a teenager, I discovered my love for singing but I didn’t dare to dream a singer career. After several years, when I was in the third year of  my undergraduate studies, I decided to start singing lessons. 

Ever since, I used to sing in several rock and funk cover bands and in 2008, I joined the first band that made me start dreaming of being a professional singer, Disillusive Play!” Antigone described.

Next, we asked her about how she met her band mates.

Everything started when Dimitris Knikos, the lead guitarist of the band, saw me singing in a conservatory event video that was uploaded in youtube. 

He found me through facebook and from the moment that I heard “Open Arms” for the first time, I was sure that this collaboration would last for a long time! 

In order to finally end up with the present line-up of the band, which is Aris Dolalianitis in drums, Fotis Trivizas in guitar and Michalisl Mytilinis in bass, several years passed by,” she said.




After that, we moved talking about challenges she faces, she mentioned,

The main challenge that I’m still facing is the time management, since up to now it is impossible to make ends meet though singing. 

Therefore, I have to work in another day-job for many hours and that is always very difficult to manage.

Next, she described to us how is her family’s reaction towards her Metal music.

They have always supported me from the beginning, regardless of the kind of music that I chose to sing,” Antigone expressed.




Afte that, she explained to us how she manages her time.

I am always on the run! Trying to combine a PhD thesis in nuclear physics (that was the day-job that it was needed many, many hours the last four years).

With studying for the conservatory lessons, with performing for the band and being in a relationship,” she highlighted.

Then, she added, No matter the effort that these tasks need, they are all the things that make me feel myself and I feel very lucky that I have such good reasons to run!

She continued,I am proud that I keep on trying to make my dreams come true!”




Regarding her role models in her life, Antigone deeply explained, 

Generally in my life, the meaning of role model is not centralized around specific persons. 

However, I can tell you that the perfect combination for me is to be able to work, to sing and to create a family in future. 

In others words, I would like to live a life with honesty but in the same time to the fullest without 
compromise!

Finally, Antigone sent a supportive message to all rocking Female Metal Voices, 

Keep up the good work and always keep that metal flame burning strong!

Larissa Dawn (Canada 🇨🇦)


Fronting one of the strongest Hard Rock/Heavy Metal bands in Vancouver, BC, Canada, Larissa Dawn is standing as a rocking warrior with her band Celestial Ruin. She started her artistic career since she was only 5. She is not also a vocalist, but also a multi instrument player.


Larissa started with telling us her story with arts,

I started  dancing and singing when I was 5 years years 
old and was cast in my first musical in  the third grade. I come from a very musical family. 

My dad is very gifted both intrumentally and vocally. He learned everything by ear and can play a variety of instruments. 

I discovered in Highschool that I had a talent for performing arts and attended the Ailanthus Performing Arts (Achievement Centre) from Grade 8 -12. 

I studied singing, dancing, martial arts, taiko drumming, dance and aerial acrobatics. My specialtywas Trapeze.

She continued, “I was awarded the Vancouver District Scholarship for Acting in my Senior Year and then attended Capilano College (I had been accepted into the acting program).

About a year into College I got bored (lol) I had been trained under some of the best instructors in the world at Ailanthus.

 So, college felt like a less challenging repeat. I decided to leave after a year and a half and was cast in Vancouver`s long running hit “Tony n' Tina's Wedding” where I spent the next 4 years acting professionally.

 I was fortunate to have played every female role (in my age range) in the show over that time and was lucky to have been one of the last females to portray the roles of Tina Vitale.




Next, she told us about how she met her band members.

She said, “After the show shut down I decided to take a break from acting. I went to Karaoke on a regular basis and was asked if I would mind being filmed to help promote the karaoke nights.
The videos where seen by a local record label in Calgary. They knew of someone seeking a strong female vocalist for a new project.

Then, she added, “That was how I met drummer Adam Todd. Adam had been wanting to create a 
female fronted symphonic metal band, a rare thing in Canada let alone BC. We met up at the karaoke bar. 

I sang 2 songs for him (Bad Romance by Lady Gaga and Somebody to Love by Queen) and was offered the position at the end of the night.

We started to find the rest of the members. Mike our bass player (and now my husband)  joined about 3 months later and we went through a few guitarists and our current axe man (Thassanna) has been with us just over a year.

We are proudly the first performing and touring Symphonic Hardrock/Metal Band in BC Canada.”




We were curious to know more about the challenges Larissa faces,

As a band you will always have challenges. A huge one being for promoters and local venues to pay 
you a fair wage (or at all) for your services. 

Sadly, most venues across Canada are what we call a “door share” where you and the other bands playing that night split the money made from tickets you pre-sell. 

This can be hard when you are trying to play many shows to get your name out there. It's hard to get people to just give you a chance to show them what you can do.

 We have spent the last 7 years trying to get in front of the right people. It has taken a very long time but we finally have a great manager (Clyde Hill with Magnatized Productions) and a great producer (Mike Plotnikoff) for our next album,. 


So hopefully all this insanely hard work has finally started to pay off lol,” She expressed.


Regarding her family and friends reaction towards her Metal activity, she highlighted,

They are supportive. To be honest no one really treats me any differently. The people who do show big reactions are the ones that automatically assume we won't be any good. 

Then we start playing and you see the looks of “OH MY GOD!” It really is a great feeling to have these people come up to you after the show and tell you how much they loved the set and the music. That we have won them over.”


Next, we asked her about how she manages her time, she expressed, 

LOL. We are ALWAYS tired. We all work full time jobs, plus Mike and I are Realtors as well as trying to balance a marriage. It can be challenging. 

We try to do date night once a month so that we ensure we get that “alone” time together. We enjoy staying in and watching movies and trying to rest as much as we can.

With the band heading to Los Angeles in just a month, most of our time is spent getting ready for that.




After that, she told us about the steps that made her proud of herself.

She explained, “We are extremely proud to be the first female fronted symphonic Metal band in British Columbia (and one of the first in the entire country!). 

When we started, there was no one trying to do stuff like this! We were different then anything the local music community had heard and seen before. We love to surprise people. 

Of course now there are many bands in our city that have sprung up over time that now do the symphonic genre but it is still a very cool thing to know that we took those steps first:)

We are extremely proud that our single “Sense of Exile” has almost reach a half a million plays on Spotify! Just such a crazy thing to see your song getting so many spins and to see the band being added to Rock and Metal Playlists! HUGE honor for us.

I think we are also happy that we have survived as a band this long lol. We have been together almost 8 years and are still putting out new music. Our new album is going to be a bit different. 

Still heavy hitting rock, but we are kinda starting to steer away from going completely symphonic in our sound. Every time you put out a new album your creative process to get there changes. 

You find new inspiration and are willing to experiment more with your sound. We are beyond excited 
to have people hear the new music.”



Then, Larissa listed to us her role models,

I have many. I love so many different styles of music. It all depends on my mood. If I am working out I enjoy dance music like Lady Gaga and even sometimes Britney Spears..lol. It's got a good high energy beat.

I really love vocally; Lady Gaga, Floor Jansen, Adam Lambert, Lzzy Hale and Maria Brink. All of them have such distinct, unique voices.

My Ipod is such a mix ranging from Country music (Brooks and Dunn, Miranda Lambert) to metal to 
80`s rock (Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Heart) to Cirque Du Soleil soundtracks (Quidam, Alegria, Dralion). Like I said, it all depends on my mood and what I am doing at the time.

Regarding her future steps, she mentioned,

Everything right now if surrounding the new music. All our future plans depend and rely on the success of the new music. So I guess we will have to wait and see what happens:)
We hope it will be successful and we can do more touring.”

She added, “We are currently working on our third album and are heading to LA in May to record new music. Our new music is being produced by Mike Plotnikoff (Halestorm, Three Days Grace, 
Hollywood Vampires)”




Finally, she sent a supportive message to every fighting lady,

I want to say thank you! Thank you to the women who continue in inspire me to be better, work harder and stick it out in this insane and crazy business.

But more importantly I need to thank our FANS! Without you guys Celestial Ruin would not be in the position it is today. With the opportunity to finally get our music out there on a grander scale.

You guys have stuck with us through it all! The good and the bad and we will never forget those who supported us during those times.
From all of us in CELESTIAL RUIN.......THANK YOU!

Lina (Lithuania 🇱🇹 )


A strong lady holds her guitar and directs her vocal chords to express herself. She is fronting one of the finest Thrash Metal bands in Lithuania,

For sure, we started with her by asking her about how she started her career.

I was always in love with music, in early teens I was all the way into singing pop. Then I started to play guitar when I was 14 years old, to create my own "pop" songs.

But, suddenly "Nothing else Matters" came in, and from that moment my whole life change for good. I don't feel that my vocals are yet discover, I'm still working on it,” Lina initiated.



Next, we asked her about how she joined Phrenetix.

I joined the band for the first time when I was 18, it was not the most entertaining way. I saw ad that thrash Metal band are searching for a guitar player and I wrote them,” she said.

After that, she told us about challenges that face her.

As a band I think we face challenges same as other bands: how to promote our music, how to create something new and exciting, where to get money to do some necessary stuff and etc,” Lina answered. 

Then, she added, “To me personal, it is always a challenge to have confidence and don't give a fuck.



And, regarding her family’s reaction, she described, 

Actually, there was no specific reaction. Or at least I don't felt it. Right now I'm experiencing strange situation, where my co-workers acting kind of weird about what I'm doing.”

Next, she described to us her time management strategy.

Oh, this is a tough one! I'm also trying to figure it out. This year is especially busy, I cut out social media, watching my favourite TV series and doing some rock'n'roll'ish stuff with buddies. Sound very not fun, but I feel I need to do this now,” Lina answered.


Regarding that steps that make her proud of herself, she said,

I'm very proud that last year we had an honor to represent Lithuania in Wacken Metal Battle. Also we were very happy when we had gigs with Testament and Lich King.


After that, she listed to us her role models,

My role models are James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine, Troy Sanders, Marty Friedman. Everytime I think of them, I feel inspired,” Lina expressed. 



Revealing her future steps, Lina said,

I'll do whatever it takes to make awesome music, tour the hell out of us and don't have the job where I don't belong”

Finally, Lina sent a supportive message to whole ladies,

Stay strong, be honest and just do what you love to do.

Marika Mura (Italy 🇮🇹)


A rocking female voice who decided to make music her earliest priorities. She sings, composes, and teaches music and vocals. Combining the greatness of music and the beauty of voice, the Italian Marika Mura sends her blessings from her band Red Masquerade.

Marika was one of our earliest participants and she was so interested in our series, so the interview was beautiful and warm. 
We was curious to know how she started her career so we asked her about the starting flame of her career.

She answered, “I entered the world of music as a child, because my family has always been passionate about rock music, that's why I’ve been studying singing and music since high school.

I started when i was very young! My parents signed me for a competition when i was 3 years old! 

They tell me that I always sang every kind of music and I liked to perform in school plays, in theatrical commedies and other events for children.

She added, “Really, I don't remember any moment of my life without music and without singing.

At the age 18 I’ve moved to Bologna where I started to study musicology and taking piano lessons while still improving my singing. In 2012 I Founded Red Masquerade.





Next, she told us about how she met her band, 

I have known Danio (the drummer) for more than 10 years and it was with him that I decided to found Red Masquerade. Lenny (the guitarist) began to play with us 4 years agoand there was immediately a great feeling between us. The last one is Gabriele (the bassplayer): he started to play with us 2 years ago when we were finishing writing the album.”

Regarding the challenges she faces, she commented, 

Music needs constant study and improvement and its always a challenge, to perfect yourself and to be the best. Other challenges are: all public relations, all organizations and composition need a great commitment and it can get pretty hard, but we love this world and it's very beautiful to know other, people, musicians and music lovers.”


Then, we asked her about her family’s reaction towards her Metal career.

She answered, “My family supports me in my studying, in my projects and they love my music.

They share red masquerade's music and other projects that I participate in as much as they can. 

They grew up with pink floyd and queen , so they never had problems with rock and other "strong music genres".

She continued, “I'm surrounded by musician friends and music lovers and we support each others constantly, we exchange opinions and we often share stages and experiences.”

About how she manages her time, she expressed, 

It's very difficult, but fortunately I have and get a lot of work at a music academy and in my private music office.

But, its not simple to do everything. I use my free time to study techniques and music theory, and when i'm home i usually spend my time with red masquerade's business.”

Next, Marika revealed to us what made her proud of herself, 

 She explained, “I'm mostly proud of the fact that i did all of this by myself, when i first moved I got a job to pay for my studies, music lessons and so on.

 I'm also proud to be an indipendent woman and musician: If I have an idea for a composition, I can write it all by myself.”




After that, Marika told us about her role models.

Classical music is very important to me, especially for instrument compositions.

 Videogames and movie soundtracks were also really helpful (authors like hans zimmer, ennio morricone, john williams etc).

 In the metal genre my role models are Opeth, Septicflesh , Fleshgod Apocalypse, Dimmu Borgir, Epica and Jinjer

For my singing technique I’ve been inspired by several artists like: Serji Tankian from System of a Down, Floor Jansen, Tatiana Shmaylyuk from Jinjer, Simone Simons, Ella Fitzgerald, Maria Callas, etc. 

But overall I like to take the best from many genres and not just focus on one,” she said.

Revealing her next steps, she explained,


The Red Masquerade album just came out. We're already working on a lot of projects like the music 
video, a tournee and some festivals! 

We're working really hard to make it all happen, and I’m already thinking about the next album!”

Finally, she sends a message to every fighting lady.

I think that if we work together we can realize great things in this world that (sometimes) is a bit sexist. 

I think we should help and collaborate more with each other, I really enjoy talking with my colleagues and give each other advice and exchange opinion about our music, it's really a beautiful thing! we're powerful!

Marion-Lamita Peubey (France 🇫🇷)


Known with her charming vocals, Marion Lamita Peubey is outstanding French Singer, Author and composer. She is spreading her unique vibes through her band LUX.

Marion received our questions so humbly, and she showed beloved warmth towards us.

She initiated her talk by defining the name of the band,

 “With this band, I’ve released an EP “To A New Eternity”, under the name Lux In Tenebris (we changed the name recently, LUX is shorter and more efficient!

Besides music, I love writing, spirituality, walking near the lakes and the sea, gemmology.”

Then, we moved to her story and career with singing,

I started to sing at the age of 14, in 2004. At the time, I was listening to Nightwish and many opera singers. 
That’s why I wanted to try this beautiful technique. 

Then, I never stopped singing and I have always loved metal, that‘s why I’ve created my band, to mix those styles together. 

But now I try to sing in other styles, I don’t always sing with my opera voice, it depends of the song, and the emotions that I want to express,” Marion said.




Then, Marion told us about how she met her band members.

The first member that I’ve recruited is my fiancé, Tony Erzebeth, who plays bass guitar. That is so great to be in the same band !

Then, Xavier Geydet (drums) is a friend, we’ve known each other for quite a long time, in the French Metal scene. And Fabio (Fabrice Foutoillet) is a friend too. 

We played together in another band when we were younger, and then, we met again after 10 years, in Lux’s release party for the EP!” She expressed.

Next, we asked her about challenges she faces.

Well, when you are a singer, you encounter sometimes difficult times, it’s hard to never give up, to stay fit when your general health is average (I have a sleep illness, so I’m often very tired), to be always in good vocal shape. 

But music and singing are important in my life, so I won’t stop to work hard and continue my dream!” She described.


Regarding her family’s and friends’ reaction, she commented, 

Generally speaking, my family did not have a real reaction concerning my activities as a singer and in metal music. 

They don’t really care about that, they don’t support my work because I guess that for them, it’s not really interesting, music is not a serious thing, and metal music is mainly noise for them. 
So I won’t tell you that I always have the support of my family, because it’s totally wrong.

Sometimes It was painful for me, but I know that my friends and fans support what I do, and are here for me. That’s really precious!”




After that, we asked her about how she manages her time.

For the moment, my band LUX is only doing gigs, not tours. So I can’t answer to this questions yet. But for me, it’s quite easy to manage my time, as I work in a spare time (I give singing lessons). 

I also take some time to study spirituality as I’m a member of the Rosicrucian Order AMORC, and the rest of my spare time is dedicated to music, composing, rehearsing and Art,” she said.

And, “Concerning family, I don’t have children but Tony (LUX’s bassist and my fiancé) had 2 small children from a previous marriage. So sometimes I have to take care of them. Maybe soon I will teach them some music stuff,” she added.

Next, we moved asking her about her biggest steps, 

One of the musical highlights in my life, was to sing opera with a real orchestra. 

I had the opportunity to do that two times, and it was a wonderful experience. 

Then, singing with Liv Kristine on a song “The Grand Design” was a major step for me, she is one of my favorite singer of all times, I was really lucky and proud to sing this duet song with her,” she expressed.  

Then, she told us her role models,

Well, I don’t really have “role models” because it’s important for me to be myself, with my authenticity. 

But as I said in other interviews, I really love Liv Kristine’s voice and Anneke Van Giersbergen. Her last album with orchestra is a real jewel, I’m very keen on the brass arrangements ! 

Then, in opera singing, Lori Lewis is the best singer, in my opinion: she has versatily, technique, power and brightness in her voice. The perfect match,” Marion mentioned. 

And, regarding her future steps, she revealed, 

With my band LUX, we have 2 gigs in France (Dijon, our city). One will be the 10th of May, and we’ll announce the other date very soon. 

We are really happy to play live because we’ll mix music with theatrical elements, and it will be important in the history of the band! 

Then, I will start to compose the new album, which will be about Marie Antoinette, last queen of France.” 




Finally, Marion sent an important message to all Female Metal Voices Around The World,

Hey girls! Such talent and power in you! Let’s continue what we love to do, and I can’t wait to meet you, in gigs or elsewhere!

Patricia (Spain 🇪🇸) 


One of the strongest female Metal vocalists around the world. She is attracting everyday hundred of new fans. Fronting Spanish Melodic Death band Synlakrsos. Patricia is still impressing Metal listeners globally. 

It was great honor to us to have those answers with her. 

First off, she talked with us about the musical style of her band.

We play Melodic Death Metal base with some Nu Metal and Metalcore influences. With our music and thematic lyrics, we inject a good dose of energy that transport your mind to a world of adventure with a good deal of rebellion. 

Sharp riffs and powerful rhythms accompanying a female voice with soft melodies and crazy screams that will caress and shake your eardrums equally,” she expressed.




Regarding how she started her career, Patricia said,

A long time ago, I've been involved with metal bands the almost 15 years.

I started to singing at high school, at the chourus. I always loved the music and singing. 

After that, I started with gutturals, because I love this kind of singing. Few years after I started with metal bands mixing guttural and melodic styles.”

Next, she told us that she met her band members by friends, as she is meeting them in different Metal pubs.

And regarding the challenges she faces. She highlighted that it is making the new album better than the last one. 

Also, improve her singing skills and being on tour and dealing with promoters is always a challenge.

And, she added that her friends and family know that she loves Metal so they wouldn’t surprise that she is fronting a Metal band.


Regarding her time management strategy, she said,
Bad. I'm pretty bad managing time. (Laughs) I'm chaotic.”




Next, she told us about the steps she made her proud of herself,

I'm proud of a lot of things we made and we do, we are an unsigned band, so every step is difficult and hard. 

Since distribution to schedule a tour, everything depend of us mostly.

About her role models, she answered, “I guess you are asking about singers.

 I have a lot of amazing singers that I love, last years, most of them are Japanese.”

After that, Patricia told us her next steps, 

Release a new music video, and also tour across USA and Europe this year. We were touring mostly in Spain and now it's time to go forward,” she revealed.

Finally, Patricia sent a message to all girls,

C'mon! Take the world by storm!

Sofie Len (Sweden 🇸🇪)


Came from one of the strongest Metal scenes ever, Sofie Len earned her beautiful voice and strong performance from the beauty and strength of Sweden. She is fronting one of the popular Swedish Heavy Metal bands, Night Viper.

The Swedish are known with their warm, kind-hearted so Sofie Len was so warm and easy going with us. 

“How did you start your career? And when did you discover your vocal talents?” Was our first question for her.

I have always enjoyed singing, took singing lessons when I was in school. 

Then I had a really long break and kind of finding my own voice. Me and my friends were active in a club called Truckstop Alaska in Gothenburg, which arranged (very well planned) jam-sessions were I was asked to sing. 

Most of my friends in gothenburg are in bands, so it felt natural for me to start my own after getting a taste of it,” she answered.

Next, she told us about how she met her band members, 

Me and Tom met through Truckstop Alaska and mutual friends. We started looking for a drummer and word reached us Jonna was looking for a new band. 

I have known Ruben from around for years and knew he was a killer bass player so he was the next to join,” she said.




She continued, “Our old guitar player Emil who is no longer in the band, we got a hold of by mutual friends and his successor Johan, we've known of for years as well. 

Gothenburg is a small city but with a nice vibe and lots of talented musicians so it was only a matter of time until we would be a complete line up!”

Then, we moved to talk about the challenges she faces,

As a singer, always caring for your voice. Especially on tour, as it's so easily affected by both physical and mental stress. 

When it comes to the music, I always try to make the most melody of what there is to work with which can be a bit of a challenge when you're in a Thrash influenced Heavy Metal band. 
But it's also that kind of challenge that is fun and developing!” She described.



She added, “And, I would lie if I didn't say that it's hard sometimes to be judged and criticized on something as personal as your voice. 

It's tough in the metal community, as it's quite conservative and as a woman you're expected to sing and sound in a certain way. 

When those expectations aren't met, some people really make an effort to let you know which can be very tiresome and frustrating.”

Next, she told us about her family’s reaction,

Everyone has been very supportive, although my parents aren't that fond of our music,” she expressed. 

Regarding her time management strategy, Sofie Len revealed,  

Since I started in a band pretty late on in life (30+), I already had my routines and social life so that has been quite an adjustment. 

We all have pretty flexible jobs where we can take time off when needed, but it is a struggle for a band not big enough to make a living from the music, to combine it all.




Next, after asking about the steps that made her proud of herself, she commented,

We've had a few achievements I'm really proud of, playing at Roadburn is one of my top ones. 

One of our songs from the last album was chosen as one of the best 50 songs of the year by National radio, that was also a very proud moment for us. 

But most of all, staying great friends and being able to talk to each other and support each other through good times and bad times. 

Regardless how well our band is doing, I'm very proud of us keeping good values and doing things with integrity.


Then, she listed her role models,

Jinx Dawson from Coven is my no 1 vocal role model, without having heard Coven I would never have been in a band! 

And a lot of fantastic women around me, my friends and family but also empowering female musicians as Ann-Sofie Hoyles from Spiders and Elin Larsson from Blues Pills. They really give the word 'sisterhood' a meaning.



After that, she told us about her future steps,

Right now we are in a quiet phase where we're working on our third album and seeing where that will lead us musically,” she mentioned.

Finally, Sofie Len sent a supportive message to her female Metal colleagues,

Believe in yourself and your ability! And always remember, sisters before misters.

Talia Hoit (USA 🇺🇸)



Talia Hoit, impressive American Singer and Orchestrator who proved to the whole world her uniqueness of Voice and sweetness of musical sound. She is fronting the outstanding Beyond Forgiveness.

Talia is a real beautiful character, her answers were so beautiful and kind. 

We started with her by asking about her early career.

I began playing the piano at age 5, and went to a classical conservatory for university training.  

Most of my musical career has been as a pianist and keyboardist. I learned to sing classically through accompanying other students’ voice lessons and singing in a choir.  

Once I discovered that I really enjoyed singing, I studied classical singing and began to perform. Beyond Forgiveness is the first band that I have been a lead singer for instead of a keyboardist!” Talia explained.




Next, we asked her about how she met her band members.

I knew the guitar players in my band previously because we were in different bands that played shows together in our hometown.  

We were friends for a long time before I joined the band.  Also, I worked with them in my recording studio when the band wanted to make their first demo recording before I was a part of the band,” she expressed.

After that, we asked her about the challanges she faces.

There are always many challenges when you try to reach goals.  

It is sometimes difficult to get everything done, and to keep other people happy!  

It is also always a challenge to be a musician because the listeners have many different tastes and opinions about music.  

You can’t make everyone happy!  So I just focus on making the best music that I can for every performance,” she highlighted.

Regarding her family’s reaction towards her Metal activity, she said, 

Metal is not the style of music they usually listen to, but they are supportive of me!”




Then, we moved asking her about how she manages her time.

It is very challenging and busy!  There is never enough time to do everything and make everyone happy. 

I write down the goals that were most important to me, and focus on those things.  When my family needs me, that is the most important to me,” Talia described.


Regarding her biggest steps that made her proud of herself. She explained,

It was a big step for me to become a lead singer and step out from behind the keyboards, but I am so happy that I did.  I love it!  

I am very proud of all of our projects that we have done. Every time we write new songs, make a new recording, and plan a tour,  we learn more and improve our music.  

Also, I continue to take classes and try to learn new things or improve myself as a singer and composer.



Next, we talked about her role models.

I am inspired by so many people, too many to list.  I listen to singers of all genres to learn from them.  

I am influenced by other female metal lead singers as well as opera singers, and even pop singers.  

The most influential person for me, though, is my piano and vocal coach who has helped me to find my own voice rather than trying to imitate anyone else!” Talia mentioned. 




Revealing her future steps, Talia said,

We are touring in Eastern Europe, and will release a new album this summer!  

It will be distributed worldwide through Sliptrick Records. We are so excited for our upcoming release.  

This is definitely our favorite music we’ve written so far!!   After our tour, we hope to write even more music!

Finally, Talia sent a strong message to all great ladies,

You all are awesome, and I hope to see you or share the stage with you at a show sometime!!

Valyen Songbird (Poland 🇵🇱)


A beautiful lady who decided to make music her first priority. She is not spreading her angelic voice in the whole world, but also she is carrying a unique artistic mood. Valyen Songbird is fronting a many Polish Metal projects as Æphirium (Modern Metal), Betelgesa (Symphonic Metal) and Hegemony (Progressive Metal).

Valyen was so nice lady and her kindness made the interview went smoothly.

We started our interview by asking her about how she started her career.

My career started with Hegemony, 2012, when I joined the band as a singer and co-leader. And about my vocal talents - it was kinda natural for me since I remember.

 I found a tape which my mom recorded when I was singing, age 2, quite nicely!” Valyen expressed.

Then, she told us about how she met her band mates.

In Hegemony, the leader was my long-time musician friend, we met in music school. The rest of the members were people met in intrnet, when we looked for full squad. 

In AEphirium and Betelgesa. Well, it may be strange, but these two projects were started by former Hegemony's guitarists,” she explained.




About the challenges she faces, Valyen expressed,

I always face the perfectionism in me to sing perfectly clear and the pitch has to be correct.

Which is hard for classical opera singer during metal show, where a lot of noise is present. 

I want to bring to the audience the best show I can an it's always not enough good” 

Next, we asked her about her family’s reaction towards her Metal activity.

Oh, very very supportive. My husband was more concerned about my safety though than metal itself. My mum shows my new songs to all her friends,” Valyen said. 

Regarding her time management strategy, she described,

It’s not easy. Since I don't have children yet, it's a bit easier, but yeah.

I am currently quitting my job to have more time for music and my self-improvement activities. 

Many of my musician friends had to choose - career or playing from time to time and working normally. It's very hard in Poland to make a living from music.” 

We moved to ask her about the steps made her proud of herself.

To agree to sing (since I was very shy) as a frontedwoman of Hegemony. 

And in the opposite to change my role in this band to session member. It was really really hard decision, but it was fruitful in my own music and more time for myself I desperately needed,” Valyen highlighted. 

Then, she listed to us her role models.

I admire Floor Jansen,since she can sing everything, also Simone Simons, she has family and career at the same time, hard thing. And Kate Bush,” she mentioned.

After that, Valyen told us about her future steps.

Less work, more music and art. Involve more into AEphirium and Betelgesa, give some gigs with these two bands, make my own album, buy some gear for it, draw a lot and be happy!,” she expressed.




Finally, Valyen sent supportive message to whole Female Metal Voices,

I am so grateful for all listeners, your ears make my work worthy and gives me purpose! Support your favorite bands! 

And to musicians, do not give up, it's hard sometimes, but do your thing and everything will be fine.

Finally, that was our fourth part of our series about Female Metal Voices. Stay tuned for the upcoming parts. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around The World V

Here we go guys, we are back again with a new strong part from our The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around The World Series. Through this part, you will come across strong influential ladies from the South to the North! Let’s go! Anna KiaRa (Russia 🇸🇰) Fronted one of the most influential Symphonic Metal bands in Russia, Imperial Age, Anna is widely known with her expressive voice and rocking performance. We started with Anna with how she discovered her singing passion. “ I found that I like to sing when I was 6 years old, Still have somewhere this video where I was 6 years old singing some pop songs. And then, when I was 8, I went to musical school and piano classes, ” Anna described. Next, we moved to her story with Imperial Age. Anna expressed,  “ The founder and the leader of Imperial Age, Alexander, was searching for a new lead singer. He found my video singing “The Show Must Go On” which I was singing for one vocal competition.  He liked it

Before 2023 Edition, Get to Know Wacken Metal Battle Egypt History

On March 3, Cairo will see a new edition of Wacken Metal Battle Egypt. The upcoming edition is the fourth in the history of the Egyptian Metal scene. Although the local scene witnessed three editions, only two Egyptian Metal bands stepped into the global stage of the most prestigious Metal battles. They were Crescent in 2015, and Veritatem Solam in 2019.  If you want to know the history of the Wacken Metal Battles in Egypt, read this article! On June 8, 2013, a post went viral between Metalheads in Egypt on Facebook and it was about the enlisting of Egypt among the batteling acts for a spot at the global Wacken Metal Battle in Germany.  On November 10, 2013, the period of band registrations for the competition ended and the whole Egyptian Metal scene was deeply motivated.  We need to mention that 2014 was a highly active Metal year in the metal scene. A number of festivals used to take place including Metal Blast, Metal Grinders, and Groovy Aid, alongside a number of group Metal and

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around the World VII

As we are celebrating our comeback I think that it will be great to check a new part from our The Metal Divas series. This part is full of power with slight changes in our format to be easier to follow!     Adrastea (Greece ) A great voice shining from the lands of Hera and Zeus, Adrastea is rocking the Greek Metal Scene with her band Entropy Devine.  We  started with Adrastea by asking her about how she started her career.  "   I have been singing since I can remember myself. I was always a rocker so I remember I would always find a way to secretly sneak into music related activities.  I was not allowed to learn music, cause, you know  I am a woman and I should do all that society expects from a woman and nothing more.)  So I figured creative ways of doing so as a part of my Rock 'N Roll rebellion while  growing up,"  she answered. Next, we asked her about how she met her band mates.   " From an ad in search