Skip to main content

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around the World VII


As we are celebrating our comeback I think that it will be great to check a new part from our The Metal Divas series. This part is full of power with slight changes in our format to be easier to follow! 

 Adrastea (Greece )



A great voice shining from the lands of Hera and Zeus, Adrastea is rocking the Greek Metal Scene with her band Entropy Devine. 

We started with Adrastea by asking her about how she started her career. 

" I have been singing since I can remember myself. I was always a rocker so I remember I would always find a way to secretly sneak into music related activities. 


I was not allowed to learn music, cause, you know I am a woman and I should do all that society expects from a woman and nothing more.) So I figured creative ways of doing so as a part of my Rock 'N Roll rebellion while  growing up," she answered.


Next, we asked her about how she met her band mates.  

"From an ad in search of a singer. As usual, as it may seem it can be quite rare, meeting your band mates from an ad and staying with them through the tough years of the creation of a band," she replied. 

She continued, "I went through two auditions and I made it! I remember the day I met my boys it was too hot in the middle of the Summer. I was suffering from the heat and a hangover which gave me Rock 'N Roll additional points.

I think, I was amazed by how good they were all together and by the songs that seemed very fresh and familiar at the same time. 


I was telling myself “Girl, if you don’t get in, it’s all on you. You shouldn’t have drunk last night! If you don’t get in you didn’t want it enough” 

Needless to say that when they announced that I passed to the second auditions I had my plan ready… no Rock 'N Roll until then, no beers and no tequila!






Commenting on the hardships she faces, Adrastea explained, 

"The main challenge is keeping all the aspects of my everyday life separate from one another. 
We all have various sub-personalities. We are at the same time the friend to a person, the daughter to a parent, the colleague to a coworker etc. 


All the personalities have some things in common and some different. In my case my personalities are very different from each other. 

It needs a lot of energy to avoid mixing them. So in my daytime job I keep my inside Metalhead hidden and in my life as a musician, well, I set me free."


Regarding her family's and friends feedback towards her Metal activity, 

"I love and respect my family, they are my roots that keep me steady on the ground. 
I love and respect my freedom as well and I have made huge efforts to be completely independent and gain the trust of my family that whatever I decide to do is the right thing  for me. 

So, there was no reaction. I just announced that I am doing it. My mother asked me if I had good time at the auditions and after that if I had a good time rehearsing with the band, but I guess this is not actually a reaction," she highlighted. 

Concerning managing her time, Adrastea expressed, 
"Ahhhh time… I can’t really say that I manage my time effectively.

I am scheduling all my activities and try to be punctual but I wish I had more time to do all the things I would like to."


Then, we asked her about the steps that made her proud of her work. 

"I am very proud of my music family. I am proud that my boys believed in me and picked me, and as time went by we became good friends and now we are a music family. 


We fight together every challenge we face, we support and help one another in all aspects of our lives and we get to make music together and be creative!" she answered.  





Revealing her upcoming steps, Adrastea said, 

"Currently I am focusing on the recordings of our first album. It is a very creative and demanding  process and I wouldn’t want to plan further I am avoiding destruction that might defocuse me."

Finally, Adrastea sent a supportive message to her female Metal colleagues.

I would like to quote Aesop the ancient Greek storyteller, and say “United we stand, divided we fall.


Alma (Netherlands)



A strong, Rocking female voice who spread her revolutionary vibes through her homeland, Netherlands. Alma is fronting one of the strongest Dutch Metal bands, For I am King.

Alma told as how she started her career, "I started singing in bands a long time ago and I discovered that when i was jamming with friends."

Then, she described how she met her band mates, "We know each other for a long time, we are best friends."

Regarding the hardships she faces, Alma expressed, "Always keep on pushing myself is what i do, even when i am out of energy."

Talking about her family and friends reaction after fronting a Metal band, she said that they all love it and support me! Next, we asked her about how she manages her time. 


"Planning and dedication. If you want something you have to challenge yourself to he able to work it all out I guess," she expressed. 

Mentioning steps that made her feel proud of her work, Alma said, 


"Our latest album "I" we went very personal and set some goals with this album that are working out very good. And proud that we are booked for Wacken Open Air for example."








Then, she mentioned her role models, "Katy Perry and John Henry (Darkest Hour)."

Regarding her future plans, Alma expressed, "Playing more shows with my band and conquer the world."

Finally, she sent a motivating message to all rocking Female Metal voices. 


Hope to see you at one of our shows and remember: STAY METAL!

Andreina (Italy)



One of the greatest Italian voices that leads one of the most successful and popular Italian Metal bands! Andreina is fronting the famous Ravenouse! 

I started singing when I was very young: at the age of 4 I had my first voice competition. I've founded my first metal band when I was 15, and then I discovered that what I really love is singing."

After that, she told us about how she met her band mates,

"In 2007 we were introduced each other by a common friend, who was originally the Bassist. When he left the band we started searching for a Guitarist and a new Bassist to complete the formation that actually stood until last year," she said. 


Next, she discussed with us the challenges she faces. 

"I always had problems with my self confidence. I never believed so much in myself and that's the hardest challenge I face every time I have a show or I create something new, 'cause I' m always scared it was never enough."


Then, she expressed how her family supports her,"My best fans are my mother and my sisters. 
They always support my art and my music. My husband is my rock and he follows me in tour or in concert every time he can."

Regarding how she manages her time, Andreina explained, "Sometimes it's really hard. I'm lucky 'cause I work on my own so I can manage my time as I need, but many times it's not so easy.
I don't have children and my husband understands that music for me is a work."





After that we asked her about the steps that made her feel proud of her work. 

"When I started singing I could never imagine that I' ll be around Europe with my music, playing in big stages and sharing them with the most famous artist of the scene.

And now I'm really proud of what I reached with my own strengths (even if I know that it's nothing special πŸ˜…).

About her role models, Andreina said"If I have to think about the metal scene, of course Doro Pesch is the model I ever looking at.

She was one of the fist women in a "male" music world, and I think she has a lot of things to teach us.

Next, she told us about her upcoming plans. "During 2019 we will release the new Ravenouse album "In Anger". I will also collaborate with other metal projects. 



One of my dreams is sign with a major label and I hope I will achieve it in the next future.

Finally, she sent message to all the rocking Female Metal voices around the world. 

Be always yourself, be kind with your fans  and with the other female metal singer. 'Cause girls have the power!!

Anlo (Sweden)



Sweden is always know with its influential Metal bands, and it is one of the strongest Metal scenes in the world. We had the chance to contact a great Swedish Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Frontback’s Anlo in the cooperation with Kingart Music Production.

How did you start your career? And when did you discover your vocal talents?



I started to sing a little bit in High school and heard from people that my voice was very unique. This made me start to search for band members to create a cool Rock band.



How did you meet your band members? 

We met through Social media and through common friends!

Through your career, what are the challenges you always face? 

You always have to play live as much as possible so the fans will stay by your side. Update a lot on social media and have a lot going on, that's a big boat to drive!

How was your family and friends reaction after fronting a Metal band?

They were a little bit chocked in the beginning because I was really shy when I was younger but on stage I'm on fire!

How do you manage your time between work, studying, family and music especially during tours?

When we have a lot of gigs at the same time it's hard to go back to work and not be tired. But you just make it work, sleep as much as you can!




What are the steps you made and you are really proud of them?

We've been working hard with Frontback to play at bigger venues and we got really happy last year when we played at Sweden Rock Festival(The biggest Festival in Sweden)

I'm also proud of myself because I won a competition for rock singers in Sweden 2016 "Rock voice of the year" that shows how hard I've been working on my voice and my character on stage!

What are your role models?

Freddie Mercury, Billie Joe Armstrong and Dave Grohl!

What are your future steps ?

Frontback will release our 3rd album "Don't mind the noise" and hopefully tour in Europe!

Send a message to your female Metal colleagues.

Live life and Rock the world


Gogo Melone (Greece/Finland)



Currently, Gogo Melone is one of the most recognized Female Metal voices in Europe. She is fronting the impressive Greek/Finnish Doom Metal band Aeonian Sorrow, beside her participation as guest vocalist with the leading Clouds. Early this year, Gogo attracted Swallow the Sun lovers after her stunning performance for "Cathedral Walls". 


How did you start your career? And when did you discover your vocal talents?


Well I think I inherited my voice from my grandfather and his father who were both priests. My family has always been deeply religious so as a child I grew up in the church. 



I used to hear my grandpa a lot, I was singing at school, at home and pretty much everywhere so for me was quite natural to follow that path. Of course at some point I discovered my passion for Metal Music so I joined my first band in high school and then one thing brought the other. 



How did you meet your band members?




I knew most of them from other bands and I was good friends with our guitarist Taneli and old drummer Saku so when I started to work for Aeonian Sorrow and some doom metal songs these two people were the first who crossed my mind. We obviously called more musicians to work with but again one thing brought the other so here we are today. 



Through your career, what are the challenges you always face?


The biggest challenge is to become better musician day by day and to not repeat yourself or your music. That requires to be open minded and try new things. I'm not sure how often I do this but I'm working on myself a lot. 

How was your family and friends reaction after fronting a Metal band?

Very very cool. My family never had any issue with me or me with them, we all love and support each other and they are always interested and ask me what's new. 


They even check about me and the band online via Google or YouTube. Their biggest concern, if it's not the only one, is for me to be well, safe and happy with the things I do so as long as I am they have no reason to worry about....they are happy and proud too. 😊




How do you manage your time between work, studying, family and music especially during tours?

To be fairly honest I don't. When you are on tour your main priority is to do your job well, take care of your band's needs and yourself too so I can definitely say that work and music come with a schedule and serious plan but life and family not. 


We all usually fail to spend enough time with our family but at least we try to be close as much as possible. 


What are the steps you made and you are really proud of them?

Every step I made I made it for a reason....even when I started my graphic design career. But I'm most definitely proud for Aeonian Sorrow and the things we have accomplished as a band. 


This is also what brought us together and became even closer friends so it's definitely a reason to feel proud for and lucky at the same time. 





What are your role models?

I don't have a specific role model in life apart from my father or my mother. If I need to thank someone for the woman I am today is definitely them. I like people with values, principles, character and emotions with a sense of calmness so when I'm close to such people I usually take a lot inspiration and influence too. 



What are your future steps ?



To make more art and music. With the boys now we are working on a new EP of 4 songs which is going to be released in autumn and later on we are going to start working on the next album so things are quite busy and it will be for some time. 

Send a message to your female Metal colleagues.

Love and support to each one of them who is chasing her dreams. 

Heidi (Egypt)



Heidi is one of the earliest Female Metal voices in the Egyptian Metal scene. She is active since late 1990s, she carries stunning clean vocals beside her harsh ones too. Many of her songs break 1 Million plays on the soundcloud. 

How did you start your career? And when did you discover your vocal talents?

I started at 16. Alex (Nephelium) found me ♆

 How did you meet your band members?

At a club. I was performing on stage he came up & asked if I wanted to be the Lead singer.

How was your family and friends reaction after fronting a Metal band?

You should ask them ♆

Through your career, what are the challenges you always face?

Getting falsely accused by authorities & my words twisted in the media ♆

What are the steps you made and you are really proud of them?

Fighting archaic medieval sheep 




 How do you manage your time between work, studying, family and music especially during tours?

I've been in jail for a year so can’t really answer that question; I don’t follow a particular system as I don’t believe in one; there’s no point in planning & over-organizing we can all die tomorrow - live your day as if it’s your last ♆

What are your future steps ?

Hera is recording second album "Γ†on of Isis". "Γ†on of Isis" is a brutal conjuration of Kabbalistic rituals, the divine occult, morphemic deities, the dark Egyptian magics & spiritual matrix philosophy. Release date is in (2021).

 Track list:- 

1. Γ†on of Isis 

2. Mother of Abomination 

3. Babalons Abyss 

4. Ra-hoor-khuit 

5. Ankh-af-na-khonsu 

6. Shahman lies 

7. Heru-Ra-ha 

8. Asar

Hellen Heart (Belgium) 






Belgium still impresses Metal lovers with their influential Metal queens. We had the chance to interview Hellen Heart, Nightqueen fronted woman since. 

How did you start your career? And when did you discover your vocal talents?

I sing since my childhood. I'm from a family of singers and musicians?  As a kid I did small performances with covers, mostly on family parties (and there were a lot of them).  


But much later in 2000  I was been discovered in the sound mix show here on television.  Did you know that Keely the former singer of Nightqueen sang on the same shows ? Later I did backings with the bigger stars and also did some proms.   



But got married and had less time for singing. Till now. I did audition in 2017 with Nightqueen. After the traffic accident of Keely they were searching for a new singer.  


I think I was good enough on the audition so Rex let me stay πŸ˜ƒ Never did metal before but the music of the band sounded so powerful.  Fits to my voice I thought so I signed for this band.  

How did you meet your band members? 

Well after the audition with Rex It took some weeks to study the songs.  I wanted to be well prepared and of course wanted to make a good impression to the band. 

So after a couple of weeks I meat the band for the first time.  I felt comfortable immediately. I remember Andy and Paddy saying after the rehearsal "fuck, you've got such a throat" that sounded like a great compliment to me (or not?).  It's really big fun to play with them.  

These are the best musicians I ever sang with. also the songs matched to my voice and taste.  So I feel great with these band. I'll do my very best for this guy's.  With time we became a real family for sure. 



Through your career, what are the challenges you always face? 

I have always raised the bar for myself. Always try to perfect my voice. I wanted to be as good as my idols. And now my big challenge is to make as much music as possible and to perform with Nightqueen.

How was your family and friends reaction after fronting a Metal band?

The most of my friends always knew that this style should be the real challenge for me. So positive reactions. But I don't see Nightqueen as a pure Metalband.  

There is much more than metal in it.  As my vocal coach Rex told me to follow my feelings and let the soul dominate in my voice mingled with some screams.  So I followed his advise with the album as result. 

How do you manage your time between work, studying, family and music especially during tours?

Well, I don't feel any time pressure from the band.  The new album can bring us more attention from the scene but till now there is nothing planned for long touring. 

Doing some gigs here and there.  We'll see what offers we get.  Rest of the time I do my job for Nike, taking care of my family and have some fun Smith my brothers from the band. 



What are the steps you made and you are really proud of them?

well I was proud of every step I made in music. But the most proud is that I made the step to sing with a real strong band as Nightqueen. And of course I'm very proud with the new album. 

What are your role models?

Noora Louhimo, Floor Janssen, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate, Todd Latorre, Ian Gillan, Tina Turner

What are your future steps ?

I'm a very realistic woman, Working my ass of with Nightqueen and see what the future brings us. We're still looking for a trusting and decent management.  

We had to hear so many lies and fake promises from all those fake managers around us.  So we kicked all those clowns out and hopefully we wind a good manager.  

Send a message to your female Metal colleagues

Well ladies and gentlemen this woman hopes to sing with you on stage someday.  If you let me ???


 Pam Rosser (USA)



One of the greatest voices from the lands of the USA. Pam Rosser is fronting unique Rock/Metal band with some classic influences, Under A Spell. 

How did you start your career? And when did you discover your vocal talents?

As a teen, I loved many rock bands and my biggest influence was Ann Wilson of Heart.

How did you meet your band members? 

One of the guitar players is my husband and we met our other band mates on social media.

Through your career, what are the challenges you always face? 

The biggest challenge of course is getting your name out there and having a good fan base.

How was your family and friends reaction after fronting a Metal band?

My family is half and half. Some support. Some do not. That's ok because I am doing what I love.

How do you manage your time between work, studying, family and music especially during tours?

We are not signed or touring, but hope to be one day soon.




What are the steps you made and you are really proud of them?

I am proud of our original music and the lyrics I have written. I also just booked a two day metal fest which I hope becomes a yearly event where I live.

What are your role models?

Ann Wilson but I love Doro, Tarja, Floor Jensen and Alicia of Arch Enemy.

What are your future steps ?

My future steps are promoting the band hoping to get on a label and more writing and to play Metal festivals over seas. 

Send a message to your female Metal colleagues.

My message is to never give up and believe in what you do, eat, drink and breathe it. Be positive... always think YES I CAN!


Piritta (Finland)



People who are more into the Finnish Metal scene will of course recognize the name of Manzana band. The band that succeeded to hold successful tours and headline many events around the world. We had the honor to talk with Manzana's fronted-warrior Piritta. 

How did you start your career? And when did you discover your vocal talents?

I wanted to be a ballet dancer as a kid, but soon I grew too big and noisy for that sport. Rock'n roll was better! I loved crazy ladies like Hole, Skunk Anansie and Guano Apes. I wanted to be like them: wild and free. 

How did you meet your band members? 

I heard from a friend a grunge band was looking for a vocalist, and that I could write too. They asked me to come sing at rehearsals- they didn't expect a girl but I got the job. 
First gig was two weeks later at a sold out event. 

Through your career, what are the challenges you always face? 

Of course staying healthy on tours- must be discipline to eat and sleep well despite never-ending party! Also missing family is also a challenge-especially when have kids. 



I have toured pregnant, but leaving the kid home is hard. Good thing is that in Finland wives and husbands are 100% equal, so both take good care of kids, so we are lucky women to work! 


How was your family and friends reaction after fronting a Metal band?

When I was younger, sometimes you hear things like how can you be serious, you are too old, or something like "too much partying on the road". 


But most of times people understand this is a true art form and important to me in a deep way. Not a game. 







How do you manage your time between work, studying, family and music especially during tours?

In sequences: two moths for the tour, two months for the work in theater, two months studies, two months holiday with kids, two months of writing...I have been a freelancer all my life, so I can arrange my schedules quite easily. 

What are the steps you made and you are really proud of them?


Continuing after what ever setbacks. Touring abroad: 11 European tours, loads of shorter tours, China tours many times...


What are your role models?

Old wise women who dance to their own drum-yet keep open and compassionate to other people. True to their visions. 

What are your future steps ?

As I write this I'm on tour in Baltic-we continue our 5th album Silver Metal -tour to China for 16 shows from here. September we have East European & Balkan tour. 

Send a message to your female Metal colleagues?

Head high, no apologies, do you thing, improve yourself and enjoy the ride!! Waste no time on evil talk and diva-shit, be happy for others success and be polite but firm in all ❤️ that's how I try to be. At least most of the time. 


Viktorie Surmova (Czech Republic/Ukraine)



Viktorie is one of the best female Metal voices in the Metal scene of Czech Republic. She is fronting many project as Czesh Bohemiam Metal Rhapsody and Rosa Nocturna. Currently, she ins contributing with Tyr band guitarist Heri Joensen for her new band SURMA. 

 How did you start your career? And when did you discover your vocal talents?

Wow.. Well, I started to play cello when I was 6 years old. So I was very close to music my whole life. But I started to sing professionally (and taking some vocal lessons) when I was accepted to conservatory at 19. But I was singing my whole life for myself mostly. :))

How did you meet your band members? 

I met Heri Joensen during his European Tour 2016. We started to date after some time and now we are partners in life and in music business as well. :) Lucky me. 

Our current cool bass player, Jakub JankΕ―, is my Moravian friend and Kevin van den Heiligenberg is fantastic Dutch session drummer. These two are not confirmed as a full band members, but they go with us for our first tour now and let’s see for the future. <3 font="" nbsp="">

Through your career, what are the challenges you always face?

The biggest challenge is to stay healthy, because with almost any illness my voice is very fragile, and that’s is the treasure I have to take care of. 

Also, sometimes I have some technical issues on stage, so that scares me pretty often. :D 

How was your family and friends reaction after fronting a Metal band?

My lovely parents are super supportive and I owe them so much for it! The same with my friends :) Even though some of my friends are not Metalheads, they always stay with me and support me. :)

How do you manage your time between work, studying, family and music especially during tours?

Oh dear! It’s unbelievably difficult! I started even my studies in completely different country, The Netherlands, and I love it, but the attendance claims are too high for me, so I am trying to miss as little as possible. 

Now I am about to have 2 tours with my band SURMA and Czech project Bohemian Metal Rhapsody. I am very thankful for that, but I am pretty curious how I will handle all of this. And family? I wish I can see them more often, but I decided to live far away from Czechia and Ukraine with Heri so I knew this is going to be tough.




What are the steps you made and you are really proud of them?

Well, I think I am proud of myself that I moved away from my country and started a completely new life and a new school. 

I still didn’t get use to it and I still don’t have many friends here, but I am trying to make it work. :) I just decided to study in The Netherlands, because I want to improve my singing and I love Dutch metal artists. 

What are your role models?

I have so many. Floor Jansen, Marcela Bovio, my teacher Elena Vink, Anna Netrebko, Anneke van Giersbergen, Dianne van Giersbergen, Tatiana Shmaylyuk, EivΓΈr etc.. :)

What are your future steps ?

I would love to improve my singing! But of course it would be lovely to have a real big tour with my band, Surma, release an album and let’s see what then… 

Send a message to your female Metal colleagues?

Stay strong and rock the world! Hope to meet you on the stage! 

After all those inspiring interviews, we hope you like our comeback version :) stay tuned for the upcoming parts. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around The World V

Here we go guys, we are back again with a new strong part from our The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around The World Series. Through this part, you will come across strong influential ladies from the South to the North! Let’s go! Anna KiaRa (Russia πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡°) Fronted one of the most influential Symphonic Metal bands in Russia, Imperial Age, Anna is widely known with her expressive voice and rocking performance. We started with Anna with how she discovered her singing passion. “ I found that I like to sing when I was 6 years old, Still have somewhere this video where I was 6 years old singing some pop songs. And then, when I was 8, I went to musical school and piano classes, ” Anna described. Next, we moved to her story with Imperial Age. Anna expressed,  “ The founder and the leader of Imperial Age, Alexander, was searching for a new lead singer. He found my video singing “The Show Must Go On” which I was singing for one vocal competition.  He liked it

Before 2023 Edition, Get to Know Wacken Metal Battle Egypt History

On March 3, Cairo will see a new edition of Wacken Metal Battle Egypt. The upcoming edition is the fourth in the history of the Egyptian Metal scene. Although the local scene witnessed three editions, only two Egyptian Metal bands stepped into the global stage of the most prestigious Metal battles. They were Crescent in 2015, and Veritatem Solam in 2019.  If you want to know the history of the Wacken Metal Battles in Egypt, read this article! On June 8, 2013, a post went viral between Metalheads in Egypt on Facebook and it was about the enlisting of Egypt among the batteling acts for a spot at the global Wacken Metal Battle in Germany.  On November 10, 2013, the period of band registrations for the competition ended and the whole Egyptian Metal scene was deeply motivated.  We need to mention that 2014 was a highly active Metal year in the metal scene. A number of festivals used to take place including Metal Blast, Metal Grinders, and Groovy Aid, alongside a number of group Metal and