Skip to main content

Around the World in 80 Tunes Project: (Asyut - Egypt): Lycopolis - "40 Days Road," "Opener of the Ways"

 


It's been a long time since I updated the journey of Around the World in 80 Tunes. The original plans was posting two articles weekly, however, some hinders blocked the way, but here we go again! Actually, the previous tune was Mounir's "Etkalemi," which means that the journey started from the very south of Egypt, so to take the next step, we need to go to the North! So, we will stop now by Asyut.

Two years ago, I was checking the list of the bands located in Egypt on Encyclopaedia Metallum (The Metal Archives)! And, I was shocked when I found several bands enlisted without coming across them, I am one of those who really dived deep into the local scene of Egypt! so, how come I didn't hear about them? One of those bands is Lycopolis. The founder of the band is unknown, and I think, it could be a one-man band (Black Metal bands tradition). 

Actually, the discography of the band is somehow huge and various, there are a live album (Idk how but there is a live album), EPs, a demo, a full length, and a compilation! C'mon, it is like a band with all its discography improvement process, I am sorry, I am not underestimating the efforts of the band, but why didn't we hear anything about such a band, and where was this live album recorded? Was it a jam session or a concert? NO INFO! Ah, (Except that it was recorded in the city of the wolves!!)

And, if the band is a one-man as I think, who were the session artists? and if it is a multi-member band, who are those great secret-keepers?! 


 

Ironically, the band shared a split album with another band, I was really interested to check that release, before I received another shock! The other band of the split is a band by the same artist! 

Reader may want to ask me how could I know that both bands are for the same person, simply, the means of production, the employed photos, the location, the non-mentioned names of the composers can prove that the same mind stands behind both acts. 

I have no problem of that. Maybe the artist composed a track or a riff which was not 100% applicable to the tendency of his band, so he decided to release the track under the name of another brand. My theory could be right because the listed song of the split by the other band is only one track. 

One of my friends told me once that he created his side-project because the musical tendency of the new single is not 100% applicable to the original band's one because it is more atmospheric/ambient, while the original is heavier. 

I swear, I am not acting like the wise, rude one here, but I am just thinking loudly, in addition, those who are used to the ``DaRk~~KniGhT's writing will understand what I mean, and I can understand that the majority of the current newcomers here have no idea about me and it is my fault because I surrendered to my thoughts and abandoned something I really love, reviewing!

I hear you, I know that I should go deeper into the music. Well, I listened to several tracks by the band, but I chose "40 Days Road," and "Opener of the Ways."

I impressively hail the selection of titles, artworks, and subjects, the artist truly wants to introduce the mysterious world of Ancient Egyptian mythology in the original form of the first and second Black Metal waves. 

The music is a basic, traditional Black Metal mood with its kind of quality, distortions, and tempo. I can't say that there is something new in this classic pattern of tunes.

However, there is an amusing sense of innovation in "Opener of the Ways." There is a good harmony between the tunes of the guitars, and there are good shifts in rhythms. 

I really liked the presence of such an act, here, in the local scene, and the methodology of the band represents the old myths related to Black Metal bands. Good job.

Well-performed music with innovative lyrical and thematic concepts is deeply supported by breathtaking photos and images. The visual media are breathtaking and catchy, they motivate the eyes and the mind to check how are they scripted in terms of music. 

Check Lycopolis on Bandcamp 

PS: The band gave us more clarifications about the members, a few hours ago.

I received a message via the band's Instgram account. The sender said that the band is a three-member one, and the band which Lycopolis had the Split with is by another musician. 

The admin of the account sent his message, replying to my message of the link of the review 

......................................................................................................

About the Blogger!
..............................

Rana Atef, a.k.a ``DaRk~~KniGhT`` (DRK) is a Cairo-based blogger, journalist, and Metal reviewer.

She started her career as a journalist, blogger, and metal reviewer in 2013 after she joined The Egyptian Metal Scene page, and Rock Era Magazine.

In 2016, she started her career as a professional journalist and she worked for several prestigious places such as Egypt Today, and The Egyptian Gazette, and she is a member of the Sada El Balad English (SEE News) family. 

DRK was the earliest Egyptian Metal reviewer to establish an annual review for the activity of the Egyptian Metal Scene under the theme of Egypt's Metal Rewind, and the first creator of the Best Hits of the Egyptian Metal Scene which consisted of more than 30 tracks. 

She is the only Egyptian Metal Reviewer who published several listings dedicated to the Egyptian Metal Scene, and several ideas for different friends Metal scenes such as the Greek, the Italian, and the Swedish. 

DRK interviewed hundreds of Metal acts around the world such as EX-Iron Maiden's Blaze, Swallow the Sun, October Tide, Wintersun, Katatonia, Amorphis, Septicflesh, Nargaroth, Trees of Eternity, Graveworm, Forostmoon Eclipse, Tethra, Evadne, Mysaloon, Crescent, Scarab, Sinprophecy, Aetherian, Hinyana, Wolfheart, Infected Rain, Ocean of Grief, Nightmare, Dimlight, Aegen Medan, and others. 

She contributed with different platforms such as Rock Era Magazine, The Egyptian Metal Archive, The Egyptian Metal Scene, Jorzine/JoScene, Metal-Roos and others. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around The World V

Here we go guys, we are back again with a new strong part from our The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around The World Series. Through this part, you will come across strong influential ladies from the South to the North! Let’s go! Anna KiaRa (Russia 🇸🇰) Fronted one of the most influential Symphonic Metal bands in Russia, Imperial Age, Anna is widely known with her expressive voice and rocking performance. We started with Anna with how she discovered her singing passion. “ I found that I like to sing when I was 6 years old, Still have somewhere this video where I was 6 years old singing some pop songs. And then, when I was 8, I went to musical school and piano classes, ” Anna described. Next, we moved to her story with Imperial Age. Anna expressed,  “ The founder and the leader of Imperial Age, Alexander, was searching for a new lead singer. He found my video singing “The Show Must Go On” which I was singing for one vocal competition.  He liked it

Before 2023 Edition, Get to Know Wacken Metal Battle Egypt History

On March 3, Cairo will see a new edition of Wacken Metal Battle Egypt. The upcoming edition is the fourth in the history of the Egyptian Metal scene. Although the local scene witnessed three editions, only two Egyptian Metal bands stepped into the global stage of the most prestigious Metal battles. They were Crescent in 2015, and Veritatem Solam in 2019.  If you want to know the history of the Wacken Metal Battles in Egypt, read this article! On June 8, 2013, a post went viral between Metalheads in Egypt on Facebook and it was about the enlisting of Egypt among the batteling acts for a spot at the global Wacken Metal Battle in Germany.  On November 10, 2013, the period of band registrations for the competition ended and the whole Egyptian Metal scene was deeply motivated.  We need to mention that 2014 was a highly active Metal year in the metal scene. A number of festivals used to take place including Metal Blast, Metal Grinders, and Groovy Aid, alongside a number of group Metal and

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around the World VII

As we are celebrating our comeback I think that it will be great to check a new part from our The Metal Divas series. This part is full of power with slight changes in our format to be easier to follow!     Adrastea (Greece ) A great voice shining from the lands of Hera and Zeus, Adrastea is rocking the Greek Metal Scene with her band Entropy Devine.  We  started with Adrastea by asking her about how she started her career.  "   I have been singing since I can remember myself. I was always a rocker so I remember I would always find a way to secretly sneak into music related activities.  I was not allowed to learn music, cause, you know  I am a woman and I should do all that society expects from a woman and nothing more.)  So I figured creative ways of doing so as a part of my Rock 'N Roll rebellion while  growing up,"  she answered. Next, we asked her about how she met her band mates.   " From an ad in search