Skip to main content

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices around the World III



We still have a long list of great Female Metal Voices around the world. Here is part 3 which contain heavy Rocking Ladies.


But before going through the article, I want also to thank my MOTHER who supported me in my life and she was my main reason to love reading, writing and searching for new ideas. And, I want to thank the lady who introduced me to writing NJ BAKR, and finally my departed grandmother who I inherited strength, determination from her.


Alex Mononoke (Ukraine 🇺🇦) 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1cGhtQz7kJlCQVWi3A54eSrZllY4rXOud

Carrying strong powerful voice and outstanding musical sound. She is fronting one of the best and most popular band in Ukraine. Alex Mononoke is rocking stage with Azathoth Circle.
Alex was a very active and easygoing lady. She gave us mood of warmth and solidarity.

She initiated talking about her early career, I started singing at 13.  I passed casting to local vocal studio and that is was my first step. 

After some time I had an accident in the pool and that later completely changed the sound of my voice. Now I think that this incident just helped me to become myself,” Alex said.






Next, we moved to how she met her band.
Our first  met was rather banal in the vastness of the local music forum in the musicians search section,” she expressed.

Talking about challenges she faced, Alex explained,
The first challenge for every vocalist is the constant need for professional growth. 

You should also be cool enough to prove to that layer of listeners who do not like female fronted metal, that you are at least not weaker than their favorite vocalists. 

Besides I am the chief of my band, which means it is a lot of small calls every day: concerts, tours, photo shoots, communication with people.”

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=17_zXJYNunbS8HbvGFoly737zJGHEIXN6
Then, we asked her about her family’s reaction towards her Metal activity.
Some of my relatives are absolutely not interested in my music until now, some don’t understand why it’s important to me.  

But my mom supported me, even she doesn’t know much about heavy music,” she answered.

Concerning managing her time, Alex expressed, Music is on the 1st place to me. I am very grateful to my friends and my companion for understanding. 

Often it is necessary to sacrifice family affairs for the sake of group advancement.  I sincerely love tours, but returning home to my relatives is so pleasant. 

This can be compared with the work at once in two jobs.  It is very hard, but worth it.”




Then, we asked her about the steps brought her pride.

Oh this is a very big question. I am proud of all the songs that we released in various EPs, our album “Across the wounds”, but especially proud of our latest work “Lingua”.  

We also entered the list of the best metal bands in Ukraine according to the award “The Best Ukrainian Metal Act”. I think we still have a lot of powerful achievements ahead,” she mentioned.

After that, she told us about her role models.

I think I clearly have a dominant model of behavior. I do not know is it good or bad, most often it’s a big responsibility that puts pressure on the shoulders,” she said.


Next, Alex revealed to us her next steps.

Now we are preparing material for the new album and the second European tour is scheduled for this fall. 

We must move on and get acquainted with the widest audience of listeners. Most likely we will try cooperation with a foreign pr agency, The life of a musician consists of constant small steps,” she expressed. 

Finally, Alex sent a supportive message to the whole fighting ladies 

Girls you are immensely cool, stay yourself and do some crazy stuff.

Ivana Momčilović (Serbia 🇷🇸)

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=17gd7X9pj4mCJtYwzVoEO36vt87qZ6zUI
A bright star in the lands of beauty and resistance, she is using her strong vocals to express her thoughts and fulfill her hopes. Ivana Momčilović is a special and exceptional lady who is enhancing her presence in the mood of extreme feminine voices, although she started singing only 2 years ago. She is fronting the Serbian Experimental Metal Band Vicery. 

It was our first time to deal with a “Serbian” band, so the conversation was so cool.

She started with telling us about her story with her band.

Vicery started out as a weekend project with my boyfriend Elio (all instruments in the studio, live lead guitar). 

At first, it was supposed to be a thrash metal band however I didn’t like my clean singing voice since it still sounded childish at the time,” she said.

 “I’ve picked up growling instead by learning from YouTube videos, and Elio was also of help since he was very proficient at it already. 

The first EP came out as a mix of thrash, death and tribal music, similar to Soulfly. Now that my voice has matured a bit, we might add more clean vocals on future releases,” she added.




Then, Ivana continued talking about her band members.

I’ve met Elio in 2015 and have been together ever since. 
In 2018 we wanted to have our first promo gig, so we’ve added Edwin Pickett, the bass player for Elio’s band Kobold, on the second guitar, and have performed that gig with backing tracks for the rhythm section, just like the band “Sisters of Mercy”,” she expressed.

Even though we are two different genres, it worked out pretty well. Later for our second gig, our friend that we’ve known for years, Dan Brudar joined on keyboards and samples, since we needed someone to operate the “rhythm machine” and also provide some more colour to our sound. 

We might opt for a drummer and a bass player in the future however we like where we are at now. We are having fun on stage together and that’s what matters,” she added.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1bTOQThMprE1KUFFgCi2olAOkTzoGBVLo

We moved to talk about challenges she faced.

Finding band members was the first challenge. The second challenge is “breaking through the wall” that the TV media has set. 

 In Serbia it’s all about who you know and whose ass you are willing to lick, it doesn’t matter who you are and what music you are playing,” she explained.

We don’t bend ourselves to anybody, nor do we take shit from anyone, so it’s been a bumpy ride from the start, naturally. 

However, in spite of all that, all of our gigs have been on big stages with big names. The audience still cares more for the music than anything else,” she added.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1dBSLNOqehp8UwYSyJtQzrW30NEPyw9s6

Regarding her family’s reaction towards her Metal activity, she said,

It’s extremely positive. My dad still calls me stupid for not forming a pop-rock band to make some actual money, haha, but he still supports me just like the rest of the family, and they love watching my videos and showing them off to everybody. 

My friends and colleagues at work that don’t listen to metal like and support what I do just as hard as any metalhead would!



While, regarding her time management strategy, Ivana highlighted,

No tours yet, we are hoping for one any time now. We had an offer for a Russian tour, but it was too expensive and not viable at the time.

 I work only 3-5 hours a day at a restaurant and I’m not studying anything so I have plenty of time. Hope we make it to some minor degree at least, or it spells “FOOD INDUSTRY” for life.

Next, Ivana revealed her biggest steps.

Our first full-length release, our first gig, and participating in the biggest Serbian metal fest – FSP,” she expressed. And regarding her future steps, “Trying to land a tour and record our second album,” she said.

Then, she listed her role models.

Phil Anselmo (Pantera), Matthew "Youngy" Young (King Parrot), Max Cavalera (Sepultura, Soulfly, CC), Dead (Mayhem), George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher (Cannibal Corpse), Tatiana Shmailyuk (Jinjer),  and many others. I must say I always look up to the male vocalists more than the female. In fact, the only female growl/scream vocal I’ve ever liked is Tatiana,” she mentioned.

Finally, she sent a supportive message to the active Female Metal Voices,

Metal is predominantly a male sport, but if you are talented and strong-willed you can own it, just be yourself and don’t allow anyone to treat you like you are lesser because of your gender, be yourself, by yourself and you can do it.

Oksana Blohm Hedlund (Sweden 🇸🇪)
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1p5cl0vx4uGkHl5TV8jDx5Eh7ovB2_3Zw

Standing with all her strength on the mountains of Sweden, spreading her voice and vibes to reflect what is inside her, Oksana Blohm Hedlund sets the Swedish stage in fire through her active music and enraged voice. She is fronting a rocket speed rising Death Metal band Carmilla.

Oksana was one of our earliest participants and she welcomed us warmly. 

We started with her about how she sees the female Metal musicians in Sweden. 

I think it's a very positive trand today, but when I listen to a band it doesn't matter for me if it's a male or female band, if it sounds good,” Oksana expressed.

Next, we asked her about how the leading Metal names in Sweden support her band.

We know some bigger bands who support us and are very friendly, but music branch is very special and very often you can meet jelousy and it becomes a competition about who get a gig where and so on but we try not to compete,” she said.




Regarding Carmilla upcoming album, Oksana told us some details about it and about its main influences.

“We all have vey different influences. We take inspirations from the world, social problems, personal problems, religion, ecology. We are making music that we like,” she revealed. 

Carmilla will perform at Gefle Metal Fest, so we asked her about how the band is getting ready for it.

Rehearsing as much as we can and getting ready for the Festival. It's going to be great to play there!” Oksana answered.

After that, we asked her some personal questions! 
Starting with her early career, Oksana narrated, 
I started to sing when I was 12, I think, was taking private lessons.

Then, I studied opera singing in a musical college and in the same time I sang in a metal band and they wanted me to start to growl.

I was afraid to do it because I didn't know how to do it safely for my voice. But I lerned myself, after that I sang in many bands, a musicial, worked as a vocal coach in a Rock Scool in a few years and in 2017 we started Carmilla.”




Then, we asked her about her personal life and how she manages her time.

My husband also plays in Carmilla, he is a drummer, so music is a part of our family, we can talk about our band every morning and evening. 

we play in the same band, reherse together, write the music and lyrics ect. So we support each other daily.

Finally, Oksana sent a message to her female Metal colleagues,

Support and respect each other!

Rute Fevereiro (Portugal 🇵🇹)
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1j2eR4u61K1haZw_Hg5_T4Lftt7Swe0fL

Multitalented Lady carries the hybrid fusion of the Mediterranean. Came from the Green and Blue lands of Portugal, Rute Fevereiro is the fronted woman of EnChantya Band and she is Black Widows Band vocalist/Guitarist.

Rute was also one of our earliest participants and she gave us a gentle support.

Rute started by telling us about how she got started as vocalist.

I started my career in the 90's in a band called Naven. I always wanted to sing, was always singing when I was a child, so I took some singing lessons and guitar lessons too,” she said.

Then, she added how she met her band members.

Most of the band members who are in my bands nowadays were musicians I called for an audition. I searched for band musicians and they answered my add for an audition.” Rute expressed.




Concerning the challenges she faced, Rute explained,

As a singer and guitar player in a all female Metal band, Black Widows, it always very difficult to be validated by our musician skills and for our music.

 As a singer in both bands, it's always difficult to earn money enough with the bands and leave your day job.”
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1-18F0NNUzlAFKQ3B2cOxZnQAULO6HEpG

After that Rute told us that the most people who supported her through her career are her friends as they love metal music. So it was easy. And, her family accepted it and supported her bands.

Next, she told us her time management tip.

Well, power is the key for everything. If you really really want something very much, then you will find time to do that,” Rute said.

Then, she told us her biggest steps.

Each album recorded with Enchantya and Black Widows, each concert. 

Enchantya is going to realease the 2nd album, "On Light And Wrath" on May 24th, and we have a single that makes me happy along with the return of Black Widows after a 10 years break,” she mentioned. 




Next, she revealed to us her role models.

I would say my parents. I'm also a believer in Jesus, but would like to explore more some books about His existence,” Rute answered. 

Finally, she sent a short message to the whole Female Metal Voices,
We rock!

Trasee Lynn (Canada)
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1WoKmzVMJu-YxwXxeIKjaoZiS3wXkAJ7u

Strong lady from the lands of the North who set fire to the snow, Trasee Lynn. She is a unique rocking Canadian vocalist and songwriter of the dynamic Hard Rock/Heavy Metal/ Punk band The Rekkening. 

Trasse was one of the most Female Metal musicians who supported this series. So, we were lucky for having her support which was a bridge for many participants.

First off, Trasee told us about how she started her career.

I started my band out of a crisis situation. I was in an abusive relationship and he used to call me his Reckoning.

He broke 3 of my ribs, I threw him out of the house, then said now I'm THE REKKENING and started the band. 

And when did you discover your vocal talents? I always knew I could sing, started at an early age 5 years old,” Trasee strongly vowed.




Next, she told us how she met her band mates.

I met my basssist at a guitar clinic and he started THE REKKENING with me 11 years ago. We have gone through countless other band members over the years,” Trasee explained. 
Then, she told us her all time challenge.

The biggest challenge is finding musicians who have the same vision, passion and dedication as we do,” she expressed. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1INGewULfbpQBJ0m5l6tP3ccWNRcDY56m
Regarding her time management strategy, she mentioned, 

My friends are my family. I don't have siblings or parents. I work from home and it gives me the freedom to pursue my music career.”

Next, we asked her about her biggest steps.

With my music, I have overcome many emotional obstacles. My band is my therapy. We also some some very high powered shows coming up with Venom Inc and Combichrist,” Trasee answered.

Regarding her role models, she mentioned, “Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeath, Slayer, The Sex Pistols.”




Next, we asked her about her next steps. 

We are releasing a New EP May 2019. New music video summer 2019 and planning a European or South American tour for 2020,” she revealed. 

Finally, she sent an important message to the rocking ladies around the universe,

No matter what is going on in your life, you can conquer all of it !!! Stay true to yourself and never give up on your dreams !

LadyAxe (South Africa 🇿🇦 / Ireland 🇮🇪)

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=14XLfD_zXzKWkT6eLFzN6YH5oDZLnVzw2

The Earliest and the first female Metal musician in South Africa, Natasha Danzig or LadyAxe who toured the world in a young age, spreading a unique fusion of Metal, Viking and African traditions. She is not fronting a solo Doom/Viking project carries her name, Lady Axe. Now, she is based in Ireland.

In fact, my interview with LadyAxe was really inspiring. She is one of the strongest ladies I’ve ever meet.
 Natasha started her talk by mentioning to us her early career and how it was started. I come from a family of musicians, so I have been singing since I was a tiny toddler. My first stage appearance was at age 4, at a wedding! Haha! 

When I was 18, my mother (a drummer and multi-instrumentalist) contacted Inhouse Records in Johannesburg, South Africa’s only metal record label at the time, and I became the first professional female metal artist in the Southern Hemisphere in 1992.

Unfortunately, the record label cheated all the bands out of their money and after we all left, the label disappeared,” she said. 

Next, she moved to how she met her band members.

Too little dedication from band members was the very reason I decided to go solo. Now I use guest musicians on my songs, most notably guitar wiz Anushka Draven, who does a lot of work with LadyAxe,” Natasha expressed.

Having played since 1992, I have endured many line-up changes, mostly because most musicians were more interested in being rock stars instead of putting in the hard work of being a band. 




Based on her experience, Natasha explained to us the hardest challenges she faced.
As I have mentioned before, finding dedicated musicians who are willing to go all the way and put in the work has always been a huge problem.

 Another reason I left South Africa’s Metal world behind, was the problem of cliques and elitists. 

South African metal festivals usually prefer to only bill Death Metal/ Metalcore and extreme metal bands, which overlooks bands like mine that have clean singing, no blast beats and ambience,” Natasha highlighted.

Then, she added, “Thirdly, and most obvious, is the question of “marketability” – a nice, politically correct word for prejudice toward promoting older, less flashy metal women. 

Unfortunately, much as the metal world denies it, talent is still ignored for good looks and if you want proof, check the comments on music videos from female metal bands/ frontwomen.”
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1_NQJpkSxngFPTS9To714Hzg_C9eTZvQt 
Regarding her family’s reaction towards her Metal activity, she said, 
My father, a Waylon Jennings man, struggled to come to terms with my choice of genre, until he discovered Manowar and starting attending my gigs. 

Now he loves hanging out with my metal brothers! As for my mother, she loves Iron Maiden, yet she still rants on me for not doing popular music and choosing to starve as a metal woman instead of selling out to get rich. 

My children and my friends are all happy with my choice, mostly because they are all metalheads!” And, concerning managing her time, Natasha revealed, I have not had the privilege of touring lately, and since I am a lone, reclusive writer by trade, I have no family or commutes to worry about. Next, she told us her biggest steps in her career. Headlining the 2009 Windhoek Metalfest was the high point of my career! 

I decided to not allow the lack of funds and band members stop me from making music, so I am proud to still be producing and recording music, making music videos and so on.

 I refuse to let obstacles like money and gear get in my way. Leaving South Africa was a move I am proud of, as it was the only way to ever progress musically,” she replied. 
After that, Natasha revealed to us her role models.

I call them my Six Fathers, because they are the men who made me the vocalist and songwriter I am today. 

Dio, Judas Priest, Manowar, W.A.S.P., Iron Maiden and Danzig are my main influences, while I am a huge fan of Rotting Christ, Amorphis and Candlemass as well these days. 

They have inspired me throughout my life and still do to this day,” she expressed.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=12KckZwZkBW0Qy1G-4-Kiy4xTZRzMOfad 
Natasha also revealed to us her hopes, she said

At age 45, I would love to get a live band together and start gigging again to promote my albums! Of course, I aspire to play Wacken and Hellfest and all those grand metalfests before I hit the grave, but mostly, I would love to record even just one album in a proper studio for once!



 Finally, Natasha send an important message to all Female Metal musicians. 
Forget that you are female. Never back down and never stop playing, no matter your age, your looks, your critics or your own doubts. 

Remember, there will always be people who love what you do, whether they are 5 fans or 50 000 fans. Make music YOU love and those who feel the same will follow you. 

Teach, inspire and fight all the way, because somewhere out there, even if you can just touch ONE person, you will have served your purpose as a metal woman.

Finally, I want to thank the whole participated ladies in our series :) and stay tuned for the upcoming parts. 
Check Part One: 

Part one participants: 
1- Amie Chatterley from Dakesis (UK 🇬🇧)
2- Amandine Darkdove from Veil of Mists(France 🇫🇷)
3-Dimitra Panariti from Meden Agan (Greece 🇬🇷)
4-Genevieve from Temtris (Australia 🇦🇺)
5- Joanna Kay Robinson from Aonia (UK 🇬🇧)
6- Laura from King Witch (Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿)

Check Part Two: 

Part Two Participants: 
1- ArwenStarsong from Sun Lay Silent (USA 🇺🇸/ Mexico 🇲🇽)
2- Isadora Cortina from Ancestral Legacy (Norway 🇳🇴/ Mexico 🇲🇽) 
3- Melissa Aonia Adams from Aonia (UK 🇬🇧)
4- Ana from Bridge to Nowhere (Spain 🇪🇸) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around The World V

Here we go guys, we are back again with a new strong part from our The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around The World Series. Through this part, you will come across strong influential ladies from the South to the North! Let’s go! Anna KiaRa (Russia 🇸🇰) Fronted one of the most influential Symphonic Metal bands in Russia, Imperial Age, Anna is widely known with her expressive voice and rocking performance. We started with Anna with how she discovered her singing passion. “ I found that I like to sing when I was 6 years old, Still have somewhere this video where I was 6 years old singing some pop songs. And then, when I was 8, I went to musical school and piano classes, ” Anna described. Next, we moved to her story with Imperial Age. Anna expressed,  “ The founder and the leader of Imperial Age, Alexander, was searching for a new lead singer. He found my video singing “The Show Must Go On” which I was singing for one vocal competition.  He liked it

Before 2023 Edition, Get to Know Wacken Metal Battle Egypt History

On March 3, Cairo will see a new edition of Wacken Metal Battle Egypt. The upcoming edition is the fourth in the history of the Egyptian Metal scene. Although the local scene witnessed three editions, only two Egyptian Metal bands stepped into the global stage of the most prestigious Metal battles. They were Crescent in 2015, and Veritatem Solam in 2019.  If you want to know the history of the Wacken Metal Battles in Egypt, read this article! On June 8, 2013, a post went viral between Metalheads in Egypt on Facebook and it was about the enlisting of Egypt among the batteling acts for a spot at the global Wacken Metal Battle in Germany.  On November 10, 2013, the period of band registrations for the competition ended and the whole Egyptian Metal scene was deeply motivated.  We need to mention that 2014 was a highly active Metal year in the metal scene. A number of festivals used to take place including Metal Blast, Metal Grinders, and Groovy Aid, alongside a number of group Metal and

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around the World VII

As we are celebrating our comeback I think that it will be great to check a new part from our The Metal Divas series. This part is full of power with slight changes in our format to be easier to follow!     Adrastea (Greece ) A great voice shining from the lands of Hera and Zeus, Adrastea is rocking the Greek Metal Scene with her band Entropy Devine.  We  started with Adrastea by asking her about how she started her career.  "   I have been singing since I can remember myself. I was always a rocker so I remember I would always find a way to secretly sneak into music related activities.  I was not allowed to learn music, cause, you know  I am a woman and I should do all that society expects from a woman and nothing more.)  So I figured creative ways of doing so as a part of my Rock 'N Roll rebellion while  growing up,"  she answered. Next, we asked her about how she met her band mates.   " From an ad in search