Skip to main content

A Message to Loreena (From Egypt with Love)

When the lights of the stage went off, she stepped away pulling the instruments that accompanied her for long years: magical tunes of harp and amusing sounds of accordion recall the glorious glory of the Celts and touching notes of piano alongside a unique orchestra. Waving goodbye to the stage and leaving millions of fans between joy and tears, epic Celtic-blooded Canadian artist Loreena McKennitt officially announced putting her music business on hold. This article is just a message from a fan in Egypt to her, greetings with love, respect, appreciation and peace from the holy lands of peace, EGYPT.


August 2017
I heard a song that its tunes look familiar to me, it was Haris Alexiou's "To Tango Tis Nefelies"! My God, I know those tunes, I've heard before in many places! This music is so FAMOUS! some research on the internet, it is a modified version of a song called "Tango to Evora"!

October 17, 2018, 11 p.m:
My dearest one who is a 20 year experienced bassist recommended me Loreena's album "The Book of Secrets", he recommended it then vanished through the dark veils of night and left me haunted with dozens of questions! It was like exploring him, rather than Loreena herself but this feeling went away at the moment "Prologue" tunes start to conquer my ears! Handed my cup of coffee on the table, and gazed at the sky and dived into this magic, it is not only music, but it is also a flying spirit, flying beyond any physical humanitarian barriers, beyond any spatial and temporal limits.

November 2018:
Listened to "The Visit" for the first time and the latest released album "Lost Souls". ONE MINUTE!!! "Tango to Evora"! COMPOSED BY LOREENA! I found out that while checking the track-list and the track-info of "The Visit" while having a coffee with my mom on a rainy day outside the home.

January 2019:
I Pushed and challenged myself to finish reading "100 Years of Solitude" after 3 failed trails to finish reading it while listening to full Loreena McKennitt's discography. I came across my most favorite album "The Mask and Mirror".

June 2019:
I went through one of the darkest depression phases. I spent almost a week in my room, isolated, depressed and bleeding! I watched a lady standing before my eyes, coming gently close to me with her reddish-Celtic look and holding her accordion singing "Mummer's Dance"! I felt her voice ticking on my open-wounded wrist! Is it a dream? vision? Something made me complete my isolation with books and Loreena's music! It was a spiritual journey not everyone had the chance to have!

September 2019:
After the success of the earliest 3 parts of my series about Loreena, published on Rock Era Magazine, one of the most prestigious and earliest Music online magazines in the Middle East since 2004, due to my mother support and encouragement, I decided to took my path with Loreena to a higher and harsher level, studying her deeper than the deeper I presented in the articles but in more academic way. It is not easy to collect the ashes of my soul, or what is left from me after depression and suicidal thoughts and self-harm to attempt an experience I failed before in 2017.

9 October 2019: 
I was stuck in the Cairo Underground, waiting to reach the station of the university, and I was holding the booklet of "The Book of Secrets" analyzing it for my MA thesis, then something sparked in my head! I FOUND IT! I found out the secrets of "The Book of Secrets"!

Third Week of October 2019:
News of Loreena's break from music started coming to the news-feed, with a beating heart with fear of losing the glimpsing, gay light of my icon's presence and falling hopes of attending one of her concerts, with silent tears cutting my heart apart! I spent few days in confusion!

November 4, 2019
After Loreena's final concert in Canada, I reviewed Loreena's stand for Celtic culture in one Literary Theories Course lectures, the lecture was about the Postcolonial theory and the impact of the colonizers on the colonized native cultures. I explained how Loreena praised and revived the Celtic music and themes of Ireland. I showed the professor and my mates at the class Loreena's "Elemental" booklet: "Kellswater," "Blacksmith," and so on.

Today's NOTE: 
You may think that I am mourning! I am really depressed that Loreena is away from music but at the same time, I feel positivity towards her. I believe that after running major tours around the globe promoting "Lost Souls" is really hard! She needs rest, especially we are few weeks away from Christmas and needs more time for feeling that she is a human, ordinary human who needs time to relax, enjoy some time home with a family, enjoying with the earthly gifts for being a mother. Regarding being an artist, Loreena needs to refuel her mental needs: more knowledge, more experiences, more achievement in her other beliefs as fighting global warming, warning families and mothers concerning the beasts of technology and the rise of social media threats!

I am a 24-year old girl, I am admitting that sometimes I thought of committing suicide due to social media. I feel that I am inferior to those who have a lot of friends and there is traffic on their profiles. While I don't have those feelings or presence, I feel that I am rejected, neglected. People turned the virtual world to the real world! What's the world?! The world we really interact, meet, talk and touch! or the world we created it negatively then it plagued us! It is not only plagued us but also it is killing us.

I was brought up in a city near the countryside, I witnessed the mad demolishing for the vast green areas, the old trees, and the water canals that were used to water the lands, the face of the green city has changed and replaced with an ugly city with an unorganized and an uncounted movement of building for the seek of building! Building without design, without planning just people live in an unhealthy living environment, the houses we used to live or where we are living no won't be suitable for living during the rapid climate changes. 2 weeks ago, the whole streets of Cairo sank! YEAH, SANK! The hight of the waters reached the limits of a swimming pool for instance. The Delta of the Nile is in danger, the Egyptian northern coast is in danger, we are in DANGER! (Loreena or her fans may think that it is strange to mention something like that here but and I am addressing Loreena her, MOTHER, WE ARE IN DANGER! THANK YOU, MOTHER, FOR TRYING TO WARN THE WORLD!

As you are a mother, you know well what is striking us, what is destroying us! I am here giving you some evidence: bullying, the rise of the speech of hatred and rejection, terrorism, and the death of privacy.  

I need to go back to my note! I can't deny that Loreena played a vital role in constructing the person who is writing now after dozens of depression waves and dozens of suicidal thoughts knocked on the head! Her music opened to me new realms of readings and helped to catch what is spirituality! I feel that I am better after living and experiencing her music! I got in detail with every tune and every word! Every note she wrote, and every book she mentioned! I believe that I met her soul in the night, souls are free after they reached the Ascension away the body. I know that Loreena needs some time for her spirituality, needs to live in rest and calmness and peace and give more time to her beliefs.

You are a contemporary Muse, an archetypal Muse, you are inspiring and reforming our souls, like a nightingale whose voice enlightens the dark nights. Thank you for everything you gifted the world during your career, but I am sure that you will come back stronger and more shining, Dear, you are a shining star and hope you keep in touch with us. By the way, I established a bookshelf in my room and I called it Readings of McKennitt :):):).

I am just regretting that I couldn't meet you or seeing you live unfortunately I can't travel due to personal reasons but I believe that we will meet.

I am keeping you in my prayers, hope God gives you strength and strengthen your beliefs, I maybe not a good person as you :), but God hears everyone and knows what is inside each soul :).

Till we meet :)

Written by: Rana Atef (MA Student at Ain Shams University, Journalist and the Editor in Chief of the oldest Rock/Metal webzine in the Middle East Rock Era Magazine) 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around The World V

Here we go guys, we are back again with a new strong part from our The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around The World Series. Through this part, you will come across strong influential ladies from the South to the North! Let’s go! Anna KiaRa (Russia 🇸🇰) Fronted one of the most influential Symphonic Metal bands in Russia, Imperial Age, Anna is widely known with her expressive voice and rocking performance. We started with Anna with how she discovered her singing passion. “ I found that I like to sing when I was 6 years old, Still have somewhere this video where I was 6 years old singing some pop songs. And then, when I was 8, I went to musical school and piano classes, ” Anna described. Next, we moved to her story with Imperial Age. Anna expressed,  “ The founder and the leader of Imperial Age, Alexander, was searching for a new lead singer. He found my video singing “The Show Must Go On” which I was singing for one vocal competition.  He liked it

Before 2023 Edition, Get to Know Wacken Metal Battle Egypt History

On March 3, Cairo will see a new edition of Wacken Metal Battle Egypt. The upcoming edition is the fourth in the history of the Egyptian Metal scene. Although the local scene witnessed three editions, only two Egyptian Metal bands stepped into the global stage of the most prestigious Metal battles. They were Crescent in 2015, and Veritatem Solam in 2019.  If you want to know the history of the Wacken Metal Battles in Egypt, read this article! On June 8, 2013, a post went viral between Metalheads in Egypt on Facebook and it was about the enlisting of Egypt among the batteling acts for a spot at the global Wacken Metal Battle in Germany.  On November 10, 2013, the period of band registrations for the competition ended and the whole Egyptian Metal scene was deeply motivated.  We need to mention that 2014 was a highly active Metal year in the metal scene. A number of festivals used to take place including Metal Blast, Metal Grinders, and Groovy Aid, alongside a number of group Metal and

The Metal Divas: Female Metal Voices Around the World VII

As we are celebrating our comeback I think that it will be great to check a new part from our The Metal Divas series. This part is full of power with slight changes in our format to be easier to follow!     Adrastea (Greece ) A great voice shining from the lands of Hera and Zeus, Adrastea is rocking the Greek Metal Scene with her band Entropy Devine.  We  started with Adrastea by asking her about how she started her career.  "   I have been singing since I can remember myself. I was always a rocker so I remember I would always find a way to secretly sneak into music related activities.  I was not allowed to learn music, cause, you know  I am a woman and I should do all that society expects from a woman and nothing more.)  So I figured creative ways of doing so as a part of my Rock 'N Roll rebellion while  growing up,"  she answered. Next, we asked her about how she met her band mates.   " From an ad in search